Trunion Gearset Lube Choices for newly purchased saw

Folks -
Okay - it's still in the back of the truck, but I'll soon be unloading my General 350 Cab saw into the sho.... garage... I need to check alignments and all and may pull the top off to get into the machinwerkins for cleaning and lubrication. What should I use on the trunion gears for lubricant? Grease seems like it would just get gummed up with sawdust and I don't think WD 40 is heavy enough. I know that cats/kittens have been mentioned for use as push sticks... How about as lubricant?
Seriously, tho'.... I'd like your recommendations as to what works best and is least messy.
TIA
John Moorhead Lakeport CA
there's always the 'ol carnauba wax saturated with graphite powder....
On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 16:40:54 GMT, "john moorhead"

WD-40 = lubricant
???????
john moorhead wrote:

Jules writes:

No.
Charlie Self
"I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower

My 350 was fine right out of the back of the truck. Bolted on the extensions and the fence and was good to go. Haven't looked back. So unless you actually enjoy taking your tools apart I'd see if it's actually broke first before I "fix" it.
Mike
Mike -
I am going to leave well enough alone for now, but I do want to lube the trunnion gears. They are dry.... I've heard that grease is bad and that silicone is the way to go. What do you think?...
John

john moorhead wrote:

I won't bring silicone into the shop. It causes finishing problems and can easily transfer to places where it is unwanted. I would recommend a dry spray graphite lubricant.
don't let silicone come anywhere near your shop.
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 01:32:20 GMT, "john moorhead"

John Moorhead asks:

No. Keep that crap out of the shop. Use canning wax, add powdered graphite (auto lock lube) if you really feel a need.
Charlie Self
"I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower
motorcycle chain lube, it dries dry, hangs on forever, won't draw dirt and crud
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 21:15:34 -0600, My Old Tools wrote:

Great idea....have to try some!
I use white lithium grease.