"treated" wood

Page 2 of 2

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_3d_index.asp?page_id5779940

Well, unless you're prepared to point out where the errors are, the only error of any importance is your post wasting people's time.
Upscale wrote:

Wasted time? How long does it take you to read one sentence? :-p
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:44:16 -0500, Mike Paulsen

The only problem I've found with those is that they never match what I've needed for any particular application. They always seem to require adjusting the rise of at least one of the steps to match the required height. I don't like steps, even if there's only two of them, that don't have equal rise and run for each step.
I've always found it very simple and easy to design and lay out the steps on a 2x using the formula "2 x Rise + Run = 26 to 28 inches". Makes for a set of comfortable steps which can be made to fit most any location and have equal rise and run for each step.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
"Tom Veatch" wrote

Yep, that is what the old framers square is for. I wonder if very many folks these days know how to mark and cut some steps the old fashioned way? It wasn't long ago that this was a common skill.

Somewhere is a book of yore on the many uses of the framing square. Mine has been lost for about 20 years. I'm sure there are reprints available on the web, but I've been too limited of access lately to look it up.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Was it in the first book in the Audels Carpenters and Builders Guide? (4 book set)
Chapter 23 How to Use the Steel Square
My set is a third edition dated 1945 and my wife found it at Attic Books in London Ontario.
http://www.atticbooks.ca/index.html
Lee Valley has reprinted it.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pT923&cat=1,46096,46100 &ap=1
Lee Valley has also extracted the chapter in question and turned it into a booklet.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pD935&cat=1,46096,46100

Ahh......, leave it to Rob Lee to stay a couple steps ahead of us and provide a valuable reference work. It obviously is an insidious plot to to extract some hard earned cash from our wallets!! :)
Lee Michaels wrote:

Amazon also carries one (Amazon.com product link shortened)37471405&sr=8-1.
Note that if you're considering buying a steel square, get it somewhere where you can look at it first. Most of the ones I'm seeing on the shelves in stores have the inch markings along the edges but none of the others. And if you do find one that has the other markings, make sure that they're clearly stamped.
leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net says...

I believe the reprint end of things is Leonard Lee's beiliwick. ........Which would make it a conspiracy :-)
"phorbin" wrote

Bingo ... thank you!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Lee Michaels wrote:

Is the a new fangled way? I've always used a square with the little clips that I have, amazingly, not lost.
--

-MIKE-

I jes bought a new framing square. My late brother, a master carpenter, didn't have one in his estate, that I could find. I got those little framing square stops one attaches to keep a repeatable measurement. I will be cutting the stringers with smaller than usual rise cuz mom, at 81, is becoming limited in leg strength. I'm no carpenter, but as a machinist am more than familiar with measuring.
Honestly, I'm enjoying the heck outta learning woodworking. I also like this newsgroup. Seems to have a nice ambience with lottsa folks willing to help a newb like me. ;)
nb

Treated wood will work fine and last a while. While "ground contact" treated material is supposed to last, it will still rot after some time when contacting the ground. You might consider setting the stringers on some concrete or a partially burried 1/2 cinderblock or anything to help them stay more dry. Also, if you use scews, make sure you use the coated screws made for the treated material. The lumber yard will have them.
Mike O.