tool for making a small slot

I need to make a slot in a wood trim piece about 6 feet long. The slot will be 1/16 inch wide and 1/2 inch deep. I thought about using a 1/16 inch drill bit in a drill press, but that would not be strong enough and will snap under the lateral load. Is there a special tool or router bit to fit the occasion?
thanks, Len
On 8/26/2012 11:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu wrote:

be 1/16 inch wide and 1/2 inch deep. I thought about using a 1/16 inch drill bit in a drill press, but that would not be strong enough and will snap under the lateral load. Is there a special tool or router bit to fit the occasion?
There are 1/16" diameter router bits readily available.
You will most assuredly want to make multiple, shallow passes to final depth, but that is not a biggie.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/26/2012 12:24 PM, Swingman wrote:

Forgot to mention that there are also 1/16" kerf circular saw blades readily available ... DeWalt, among others, makes them, and they are generally much cheaper than a double fluted router bit.
And, you could do it in one pass with a guide and the blade set to the desired depth.
DAGS
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Much better, but aren't most thin kerf bits 3/32"? Oh, I guess straight HSS is 1/16" wide. Neevermind.
Most 1/16" router bits aren't long enough, but those which are cost like the dickens and break or burn up very, very easily.

I'd sure want to build a holddown jig for something like that. My fingers started retracting just thinking of it. <g>
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman
In wrote:

1/2 inch? Baloney - lots of them avallable. Get a carbde tip if ypu're hard on bits, or learn to use the router properly.
HTH,
Twayne`

On 8/26/2012 12:24 PM, Swingman wrote:

Slotting cutter instead of straight bit -- Amana 53200 for example.
Slotting cutter instead of straight bit -- Amana 53200 for example. --
Bingo! You win the prize.

be 1/16 inch wide and 1/2 inch deep. I thought about using a 1/16 inch drill bit in a drill press, but that would not be strong enough and will snap under the lateral load. Is there a special tool or router bit to fit the occasion?

Also something called a "slitting saw". Or if the 1/16" tolerance is not real tight, a narrow kerf panel and melamine blade will do .079" (7" Festool Permasheild LU79R007 )
In typed:

Router bit - make several shallow passes.