Took a Sawzall to my Ash Table :( w/pics

I'm not sure why you glued the runners to the long aprons before glueing the aprons to the legs?

I actually don't glue in the drawer runners until the entire table is finished and I know the runners are aligned properly. I even made a table where the drawer runners were never glued down, they float in a groove in the back and on a half lap on the front.

I used the same runner assemble for this table:

three of those drawer runners are not glued in at this point. Tongue and groove in the back and half lap in the front. Once the drawer was assembled the runners were 'built up' and adjusted for a snug fit with the drawer.

This approach will never get you in your current situation.

Reply to
Stoutman

Here is the finished table if you're interested:

Stoutman

"David F. Eisan" wrote in news:pY2dnXg2-b_UO0vZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You need a large lateral file cabinet for your hand held power tools.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Hello everyone,

Today was not a good day in the shop.

I was going to do the final glue up on my table today. I stood one sub assembly of legs on my bench and was about to dry fit the long aprons with the drawer runner into the legs. This is what it looked like,

Notice how the skirt is a little narrow....

looks like I measured between the legs for the drawer runners whereas I should have slipped the long aprons into the tennons and measured between those for the length of the drawer runner.

Hmmmm.... What to do.

Sawzall time!

out the runners with the sawzall. Since the runners were attached to the long aprons with double biscuits, it wasn't hard to chisel apart the joint and pare it flush to the apron.

I have it all cleaned up and now I have to remake the parts I cut out, 'cept this time, a little longer ;).

Oh well,

David

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine I'm him.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Well David, I see that the beer-fridge is still the most used tool in your shop...

Reply to
Duke of Burl

Snippage of carnage. ;~)

Well 20/20 hind site is always better. Like Stoutman indicated, perhaps the pieces you cut out should have been put in last after all the aprons were properly fitted and glued into place.

Dave, whets up with your dust collector? LOL

Reply to
Leon

For future reference, whenever possible dry-assemble the piece before gluing. That way if something is screwed up you'll find it when it's still relatively easy to fix.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The old adage that applies here is "Measure twice ..." However for me, its the sit and think about it before I cut once.

John's advise of dry fitting is always practiced in my projects.

Dave

Teamcasa

Nah! I adhere strictly to the wrecker's primary law. "Cut to shape and pound to fit!"

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

What if its bigger than the little than bottom af the top?

Dave

Teamcasa