TOH host - what do you all think?

Having watched several new TOH and ATOH episodes, I think that Kevin's going to do ok. I really like the fact that he's doing a fair amount of work, sort of the "lackey" on the job. Richard once referred to him as his assistant when they put in the new hotwater heater on the first ATOH show. That's kinda of his position. The guys are getting older (who isn't) and it appears they will be doing less and less as the time goes on. So having Kevin providing the muscle to their brains and experience seems to work ok for me.
Sure, we will all miss Steve (or some will) but Kevin's ok.
Watcha all think?
MJ Wallace
BTW: Norm's lost a lot of weight - any guess to his "secret"? Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc?

I agree, he seems to "fit in" much better after two weeks than Steve Thomas did after 12 years. Ed
Despite the fact that he talks funny, and he looks more like a "Jason" then a Kevin, he'll do.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
On 29 Oct 2003 16:03:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com (MJ Wallace) wrote:
"Having watched several new TOH and ATOH "episodes, I think that Kevin's going to "do ok. I really like the fact that he's "doing a fair amount of work, sort of the ""lackey" on the job. Richard once referred "to him as his assistant when they put "in the new hotwater heater on the first ATOH "show. That's kinda of his position. The "guys are getting older (who isn't) and it "appears they will be doing less and less "as the time goes on. So having Kevin "providing the muscle to their brains "and experience seems to work ok for me. " "Sure, we will all miss Steve (or some will) "but Kevin's ok. " "Watcha all think? " "MJ Wallace " "BTW: Norm's lost a lot of weight - any guess to his ""secret"? Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc?
To All:
'Sorry... This Was SUPPOSED To Go To Another Thread. My Mistake.
Warmly, Griz < snipped-for-privacy@OSPAMcharter.net
" " " "Jim & 'admin': " "Re: AC/DC; - Not In THIS Lifetime Baby ! ; ^ ) " " " Warmly - If Likewise Dementedly, Griz
" "------------------------------------------------------------ " " "On 29 Oct 2003 16:03:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com (MJ Wallace) wrote: " ""Having watched several new TOH and ATOH ""episodes, I think that Kevin's going to ""do ok. I really like the fact that he's ""doing a fair amount of work, sort of the """lackey" on the job. Richard once referred ""to him as his assistant when they put ""in the new hotwater heater on the first ATOH ""show. That's kinda of his position. The ""guys are getting older (who isn't) and it ""appears they will be doing less and less ""as the time goes on. So having Kevin ""providing the muscle to their brains ""and experience seems to work ok for me. "" ""Sure, we will all miss Steve (or some will) ""but Kevin's ok. "" ""Watcha all think? "" ""MJ Wallace "" ""BTW: Norm's lost a lot of weight - any guess to his """secret"? Atkins, Weight Watchers, etc?
I don't like the new host. He talks continously, acting like a puppet. He seems way to scripted. Kevin is constantly pointing out the obvious, and knowing his limited background it's insulting my intelligance. Just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with not liking him, but I'm not sure if you have the right reasons.
He is not writing the scripts, some idiot is and thinks some of the cutesy stuff is funny. As for pointing out the obvious, that is always a problem with that type of show. Who do you gear the script to? Based on the type of houses and projects they do, I'm sure that many of the PBS viewers are upper income types that know all about banking and trust funds, but don't know what end of a hammer to use to drive screws. Most of the people on this newsgroup are above average when it comes to home repairs and tool use. Maybe after a few episodes they'll turn him loose to think on his own.
Come to think of it, in all the houses they toured, have you ever seen a roll of duct tape? Ed

Bah! EVERYONE knows you grip the screw with the claw and swing it around, right?

Yeah, with the tidal wave of reality television that is currently upon us I think it's time for a real show about residential construction projects.
A kind of This Old @#$% House.
Get a real contractor, who never lifted anything heavier than a skirt in his whole life and have him running a real crew of tower of babel subcontractors.
Lock them all up inside a chainlink fence with the customers and watch the blood flow.
Have to be on cable, I'm thinking.
Tom Watson wrote:

ROTFL!
Time for another newsgroup serial, don't you think? <G>
-- Mark
Tom ...
<<Yeah, with the tidal wave of reality television that is currently upon us I think it's time for a real show about residential construction projects.
A kind of This Old @#$% House.
Get a real contractor, who never lifted anything heavier than a skirt in his whole life and have him running a real crew of tower of babel subcontractors.
Lock them all up inside a chainlink fence with the customers and watch the blood flow.>>
That show already exists. It's called "Dream House" and it's on HGTV.
Lee
Tom Watson writes:

I bet you have a nomination for @#$% contractor. So do I, except he's a restoration guy, not a renovation guy.
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige

That was TOH in the early days, when it was good. It's very boring now, too many big historical projects, they need to get back to Joe Schmoe houses.
--
McQualude

I gotta quit drinking coffee while reading these things!
Tom Watson wrote:

I am NOT an idiot.
Thank you,
Russ
<<I don't like the new host. He talks continously, acting like a puppet. He seems way to scripted. Kevin is constantly pointing out the obvious, and knowing his limited background it's insulting my intelligance. Just my opinion.>>
I think he points out the obvious because, at the moment, that's all he knows. I still think the producers missed the boat by not making his wife the host, or at least the co-host. BTW, "intelligence" is spelled with an "e." <g>
Lee

toolmiser

But don't you think that is the role he plays - the limited background guy? I think they also chose him because he's younger than the team and can ask the "stupid" questions. Be curious to know the TOH demographics. How many viewers do their own remodelling or building? I found that in building our new house, watching the show for close to 15 years has paid off - I understand the vocabulary and can communicate better with our contractor. I also get a feel how good he (my contractor) really is as well. TOH has helped me. Perhaps others as well.
MJ Wallace
I don't know what the demos are but I will guess that PBS thinks that TOH is showing Joe six pack. Just look at what happens every time PBS has their annual (every 3 month) beg-a-thon. Off goes TOH on comes touchy feely or highbrow show. I would like to see more detail and less fashion show.
Ken G -- Remember 9/11 God Bless US

ToolMiser wrote:

How many hosts have there been since Bob Vila? He was the host the last time I watched that show.