--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:22:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I also don't see it, but I suspect that it is getting filtered because I have Agent configured to skip crossposts. That means that if the message has been retrieved in one group it will be skipped in any subsequent groups it appears in. In this case I see it in news.groups, but, because rec.woodworking is later in the subscribed groups list, it is skipped here.
Either way I saw it and am casting my "no" vote.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Hi... I've been lurking here for a few months and I see how everything here works. However, I have one concern with the new group. If this rec.woodworking.all-ages actually happens.. will rec.woodworking become rec.woodworking.*? And if so, won't we be flooded with cross posts from people who just want an answer about some basic thing and are trying to post to as many groups as possible? I see that this happens all the time in that kind of group (look at rec.antiques for example.) Maybe this is an out of place post, or im misunderstanding or or something, so if this is wrong, I apologize in advance
(braces himself for fire)
xx_capriceclassic snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (a.t.) wrote in

No. The wreck would remain the same, except possibly a few of the whiners and prudes might not be here.
--
Bill

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:45:53 -0700, a.t. wrote:

Welcome to the Wonderful World of the WrecK!

'Splain it to me sometime, willya?

IMO, r.w.aa has a very, very (very) small chance of passing.

No, the WrecK will be here, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

Pretty likely. So go vote No to r.w.aa if you're concerned about this.

Yup, I have that t-shirt too.

Nope, this is the right place to chat about a potential split of r.ww.

You *have* been paying attention. I'm impressed. ;^)
--
Joe Wells

On 1 Oct 2004 15:45:53 -0700, xx_capriceclassic snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (a.t.) wrote:

you are correct. namespace pollution is one of the main objections.

No. rec.woodwoorking will not change.

I think that's certainly a possibility. I had a very short private exchange with one of the proponents of the new group where I encouraged them to pursue the moderated group with a better set of moderators. I likely would have voted yes if that had gone to a vote. The current proposal makes no sense to me, being unmoderated, and I don't understand what color the sky is in the proponents' world.

Not at all. This is a great place to discuss the issue.
On 1 Oct 2004 15:45:53 -0700, xx_capriceclassic snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (a.t.) wrote:

Not sure what you mean by that

Ayup, very likely. Also likely that somebody with an idea will cross-post to both groups as well (or worse, multi-post, resulting in duplicate, redundant messages taking up additional space).
This is one of the reasons rec.ww has never split, there has yet been no clear identification of a split hierarchy that would not result in multiple posts, dilution of effectiveness, or efficiency of reading.

Seems like you have a pretty good grasp of potential consequences.

Out of pure curiosity, does anyone know why the turning group ended up in rec.crafts rather than rec?
Is there a puky duck factor at play?
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:22:10 -0600, Dave Balderstone

IIRC from the discussion leading to r.c.t's creation, rec.ww is kind of grandfathered into its current position in the hierarchy. At some point, the name space cabal realized there was a large proliferation of rec.* groups and started further segregating them by interest, thus the rec.crafts.* hieararchy. Thus when the turners' group was started, it was placed in the crafts hierarchy to meet the new approach to classifying groups. rec.woodworking retained its original position because to change that would have had severe consequences in numerous places, for example, in the archives, etc.

Don't think so. Anybody else have better memory retention than me on this?
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:22:11 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I recall the same from when I started lurking on the wreck. See this post by one of the proponents. http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=rwiegand-1306962122220001%40news1.i1.net

Thanks for digging that out.
Ok.. Thanks to everyobdy who helped me figure this one out. Also, thanks for the welcome. I hope to be able to participate in the discussions here in the future.
-Drew