Throw away woodworking tip

Every time I see this I think how cool it is. No big deal but I just keep forgetting about it and when I see it done...
Using pocket screws for panel glue-ups.
My buddies cabinet shop rarely has to glue up panels. They mostly buy their doors and use ply otherwise. When they have need for the odd job it is always a hubub. They tried a few different things like this vertical rack made of aluminum slats, etc.
Now, if one side of the panel will be hidden, like a table top, they just run some pocket screws on each side of the glue joint, they clamp the boards lightly down to a work table, run the pocket screws in from each side and they can start using the panel right away.
No biggie, just kinda cool.

Purists might scoff, but I won't. :-) Cool tip, thanks for passing it on.
jc

I am missing something here... ;~) Isn't that what pocket hose screws are intended for in the first place? Was that a secret that I have known about for the last 15 or so years?
I had always seen them used for joining face frames and boxes. and stuff like that. Using them across the joint of a panel was new to me.
My proof points that it is somewhat uncommon are:
- All of the accessories Kreg sells are vice grips for holding down face frame type joints, etc. - The Kreg little hand held drill guides have two or three paired holes, great for face frame sticks. But no big wide jig with a few far spaced holes that would be good for a panel. - I just fast forwarded through the "Joinery 101" video on the Kreg site and the closest thing they show to a panel joint is a stave type glue up with beveled edges (near end of video). They never show a true flat panel.
As I said, this is a throw away tip. If it's not useful or insightful...

I had always seen them used for joining face frames and boxes. and stuff like that. Using them across the joint of a panel was new to me.
My proof points that it is somewhat uncommon are:
- All of the accessories Kreg sells are vice grips for holding down face frame type joints, etc. - The Kreg little hand held drill guides have two or three paired holes, great for face frame sticks. But no big wide jig with a few far spaced holes that would be good for a panel. - I just fast forwarded through the "Joinery 101" video on the Kreg site and the closest thing they show to a panel joint is a stave type glue up with beveled edges (near end of video). They never show a true flat panel.
Yes they do. Twice.
I guess I just fast forwarded to fast.

On 3/23/2010 11:08 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

It's a good tip - and to add a bit of illustration, may I present a photo of my (45-minute design/construction time) main shop bench - built from 2-1/2 2x12x144 and a 2x4x120? :)
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/Vise640x480.jpg
All done with my (then) brand-new Kreg Jig...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
I had always seen them used for joining face frames and boxes. and stuff like that. Using them across the joint of a panel was new to me.
My proof points that it is somewhat uncommon are:
- All of the accessories Kreg sells are vice grips for holding down face frame type joints, etc. - The Kreg little hand held drill guides have two or three paired holes, great for face frame sticks. But no big wide jig with a few far spaced holes that would be good for a panel. - I just fast forwarded through the "Joinery 101" video on the Kreg site and the closest thing they show to a panel joint is a stave type glue up with beveled edges (near end of video). They never show a true flat panel.
As I said, this is a throw away tip. If it's not useful or insightful...
Please don't take my comment as disrespectful or a pie in the eye. ;~) Seriousely I think my very first joint, between a piece of walnut and mahogany was actually to form a small panel. IMHO it is the panel joint is the best of all possible joints. The first demo I saw years ago was the union of 2 pieces of wood on their edges. ;~) Thanks for sharing, again.
No problemo.
I just made another discovery. Not only is a claw hammer good for driving nails, but if you turn it around, you can pull them out too!
I guess I am too easily impressed. ;^)

No problemo.
I just made another discovery. Not only is a claw hammer good for driving nails, but if you turn it around, you can pull them out too!
I guess I am too easily impressed. ;^)
Having 6 nailers with tails, what's a claw hammer? ;~)

That's the thing you use to correct the nailer errors.
John
"Leon" wrote:

A gadget that doesn't work quite as well as "The International House Key" at removing nails.
Lew
On 3/23/2010 4:05 PM, Leon wrote:

It's that thing I use to whack my thumb with on occasion in order to keep the thumb watchful and the eye in tune.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

And the best part, unlike with brads, you can remove them after the glue has set up. ;~)
John
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:39:25 -0700 (PDT), the infamous

Clarification: "on each side of the glue joint" on the _underside_ of the table, right?

Yeah, cool.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Yeah on the underside but it might be an interesting detail on the top side.

WAIT....
Isn't that what those cool plugs are for? Making a contrasting statement with the plugs?
Damnit....
I guess I never saw the video...
:^)
Robert
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:51:48 -0700 (PDT), the infamous

Yeah, fill it with clear resin and call it a "feature".
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:39:25 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

I don't use them, but there was ONE time I would have liked to use them. With table tops and cabinet doors you will see the oval hole/plug, but with a fireplace mantle the ovals will never be seen when the mantle is fastened to the wall.