Three Piece Inlay - Took Way Too Long

Page 2 of 2

What IS the best temperature to use a chisel at? How about sharpening it? Do I need to keep an ice cube in my pocket to cool the chisel blade for a better, smoother cut? Or does it cut better warm?
Puckdropper

jo4hn wrote:

Just remember to never force any fit. Use a bigger hammer.
t wrote:

The following dropped into my mailbox this morning. I've never done an inlay by hand, so I'll just pass it along without comment:
<< If you post again about the inlay that Tom Watson said took too long, could you pass on that he did it the wrong way. When doing it all by hand, it is much easier to do when you start with the inner most piece, get that to the right size. Then, use a sharp knife going around that piece to score the design on the next piece and cut that out. Trying to fit a piece to a cutout is really difficult. Adjusting the cutout to fit the piece is much easier. >>
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar