thought on woodmaster 50" sander

Hi folks, i've been looking at big pasnel sanders for a while now, and I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the woodmaster 50". before i do though, I figured I'd see if anyone out there has any thoughts (or direct experience - pro or con) with the woodmasters?

i do a lot of large panel work, and am hoping to use it for smoothing out panel glue ups (usually very small variations in alignment, but a PITA to work out by hand), and to cut down on finish sanding. I was also thinking about offering panel sanding/abrasice planing services, but that will depend a lot on how well the whole system works out for me....

thank for your thoughts

-_JD

Reply to
jd

I have the 37" Woodmaster with a single drum. IMO, it's a mediocre tool. The issue is that the paper rolls are applied to a velcro covered drum. Any unevenness in the velcro is transmitted directly through the paper to the panel being sanded leaving an uneven surface. I've had the machine for a little over 1 1/2 years . . . I give very high marks to Woodmaster for trying to resolve technical issues . . . including coming to the shop and picking up the tool . . . then returning it to me supposedly fixed . . . but not withstanding their efforts to stand behind the machine, it doesn't work extremely well.

The velcro backing is adhered to the steel drum with a glued backing. Poor initial installation of the velcro, or heat buildup while sanding can cause the velcro to buckle. Either issue produces poor sanding results. I wish I had purchased a machine that didn't have the velcro/paper interface.

Rick

Rick