Woodmaster moulder/planer

Anyone have any opinion on this tool? Looking at the 18" model.

Thanks

Reply to
Todd

todd,

i have the 18" model with propack and a bunch of molding knives. it's a great machine. do a google search and you should find a bunch of recent posts about it.

my only complaint - and it's not really something that i can blame woodmaster for - is that when the drum sander is installed, you can't sand very thin parts because it uses feeder rollers and not a belt. but it's primarily a planer and molding cutter, so that's perfectly acceptable.

let me know if you have specific questions, i'm happy to answer.

--- dz

Todd wrote:

Reply to
david zaret

Thanks David

My Business partner and I looked at the machine today and will be ordering one on Monday(pro-pak, 18"). We have a cabinet/furniture shop as well as a

2000' kiln. This will make all our moldings and plus we hope to sell to local contractors as well. We hope to run $300 - $500 profit per month to pay the tool off. Is this possible with such a slow machine?

Anyway, Thanks for the time.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

well, i don't know about the numbers, but you can cut trim in one pass. the major time-sucker is the stock preparation - do you have something that'll S4S the wood quickly? you'll spend far more time jointing and planing than you will cutting the final profile...

do you have a good dust collector? this thing spits some serious chips. i can fill a 55 gallon drum in an hour, easily.

-- dz

Todd wrote:

Reply to
david zaret

Yes we have dust collection, a 20" planer and a 8 " jointer.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Have had one for about 18months, love it.

John

Reply to
John

larry,

yep, good idea. i will try it with a piece of ply and double-stick tape.

--- dz

Larry Kraus wrote:

Reply to
david zaret

I have some questions about this as well.

First of all, I've spoken with these folks a few times and they seem like a great company to work with. I plan on doing gang ripping as my primary use. They really gave me some great input and were ready to quote on customizing the machine and some cutter attachments for me. Very encouraging.

My question is, has anyone done any gang ripping with this unit? I'm just wondering how clean the cuts are and does it track well (ie cut straight)?

The guys at woodmaster were ready to throw a 10hp motor in this baby and create some custom spacers so I could rip as many 3/8" wide strips at once as I'd like. They assured me with a 10hp I could easily rip a

12" wide board into 3/8" strips all at once no prob.

BW P.S. They did give me a local reference of a customer but until I'm ready to lay down cash I figured I'd just ask here.

Reply to
Bill Wallace