This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

Page 9 of 10

The Davenport's wrote:

The system does indeed destroy the blade when it fires (correctly or incorrectly). The blade is embedded into I believe an aluminum brake shoe of sorts, about the only way to stop it that fast.
I prefer the most reliable safety system i.e. intelligence. I do not place any part of my body in the "line of fire" of the saw blade when I use my saw. This includes not standing in the potential path of thrown wood or blade teeth in addition to keeping fingers safely away from the blade.
Pete C.

Good Luck with that.
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

Do not apologize Jack, you did nothing wrong. This is a holy war for some and some people simply cannot handle the fact that the SawStop exists.
It's ok Jack, some people have issues. I have a SawStop TS and I'm quite happy with it. I may not agree with all their ideals (we must require everyone buy our technology) but they make a very nice saw. I justified the price (~4000 including extension table, 5HP motor, and shipping) by the fact that as a software developer, losing the use of my hand, even temporarily would seriously interfer with my work. And the cost of a single injury could well outweigh the cost of the saw. I'm still cautious when working with it as the technology is not failsafe, but if I scrwe up, it's there.

When SawStop first announced their technology there was a long, long, long discussion here about it. They tried lobbying the US gov't to make their invention mandatory on table saws.
Many people objected to this.
Add to that the fact that they took forever to come up with an actual saw that one could buy...
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

You could always start a moderated group...
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

I'm afraid you can forget about getting rid of the garbage. I've been mostly lurking here for several years, and in spite of the garbage, there are some really helpful and knowledgeable people here. This is a pretty good place, you just have to learn to watch where you step.
PDX David

Sounds like any standard barnyard. Who says life has changed?
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

Oh, gee, no, nobody has ever discussed that machine here before
:-)
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

ROTFLMAO...... Cover up the name on the saw so that the person being interrogated would not know that he was safe. It would also satisfy all the people that have concerns for the safety of people that break the law.

That would make a great comedy cop movie. And just to add to the mix in the movie, have the Sawstop malfunction the one time the cop shoves the screaming crook's finger into it.
wrote in message

Sounds ripe for Saturday Night Live, right along side reruns of the old spoof of the DieHard battery commercial. Old people using DieHard batteries to power their pace makers standing in a foggy field in the dark.
Dave Balderstone informed:

Well, shit. I please call my sainted Mother and ask her why she has been calling me Robert for the last 50 years. According to my Dad, naming me that was her idea, so she probably knows the truth.
Now help me out here. WTF should I tell my Mom (if she isn't behind this) when I tell her Robert isn't my real name? Should I stop putting it at the end of every post?

Yeah, right. What's your last name?
--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

Dave Balderstone wrote:

WTF do you care? Do you want to call him up in the wee hours of the morning as spammers have done when they know who is sending complaints to their ISP?
If you have a complaint about a UseNet article, you can complain to the ISP through which it was posted and they can consult their logs to determine whose account is responsible. They can do that no matter what username is being used by the author.
An ISP that refuses to act on legitimate abuse complaints about an account with a username that is a first name only, nickname only, or an alias, will ALSO refuse to take action if the username is the person's true legal name, don't you think?
Suppose >>>> ROBERT <<<<< actually 'signed' his articles

Besides, with but a modicum of cleverness, >>>> ROBERT <<<<< could 'sign' his articles 'Dave Balderstone'. Which is why *I* post under an alias.
Mind the line-wrap:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&num 0&q=Ian_St_John+CHILD+MOLESTER&safe=off&qt_s=Search&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny94&as_maxd(&as_maxm=2&as_maxy99
--

FF

There some people that actually believe that using and showing your whole name makes your comments more credible. What cracks me up is that whether you use your own whole name or some one else's whole name they will never know the difference.

I don't. I wasn't the one who made the comment about anonymity making people brave.
--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa