Thinking of taking up woodworking...

Page 1 of 2

but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.
Comments?

LOL!
Nice try.
I can see why you would think I was kiding, but i'm not. Most of the guys I've met can barely string two sentences together.
What's this newsgroup like?

Yep
Anti social
On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:02:46 GMT, "Billy Carver"

Well you look as if you will fit in just fine. Note your inability to string two more than sentences together. And I _know_ heaps of WWer's who can spel kidding two....
OK. Maybe you are serious. Not being a very good woodworker, I am (still, just) willing to listen.
So, seriously. If you come in here with an attitude like yours, to a group of _woodworkers_, then maybe your "anti-social" image is self-funded? Try approaching in a postive manner. Read the posts for a while and decide for yourself. If you want to ask woodworking questions, ask woodworking questions.
I will say that if you are looking for a chat, amongst serious woodworkers, walk away. They are busy avoiding getting hurt while woodworking.
Where do you live, and what organizations are around? Try to find a woodworkers club (Woodcraft, if there is one near), or a woodworking class at community college.
Steve

Billy Carver wrote:

I tried square dancing, dropped it, now it's out of square.

such a thing. :)
Billy Carver says...

Don't worry, there is always room for one more...
Billy Carver wrote:

You'll fit right in.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Billy Carver wrote in message

Woodworking is not a team sport. An hour yacking is an hour away from actually working with the wood and, if you love working with wood, that means that an hour yacking is an hour lost forever.
Bill

Damn straight - now piss off.
:)
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Woodworking might not be easier than software, but it's more straightforward. I've never had to cut dovetails deliberately back-to-front because that was the only way to make them work with M$oft PineyWood for Windowframes.

And another major advantage of woodworking is that clients don't phone at 2:30am to complain that an end table isn't working right.
On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:03:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

They bloody well do !
Not that I mind. Just don't phone me at 9am and expect a sensible reply.

Frank Lloyd Wright, architect, did receive some angry calls from a number of his distinguished clients when the elegant, astounding, and far ahead of the technology roofs on his buildings began leaking onto their dinner parties. I wonder if this falls into this category. I have received angry comments from family members when recently installed towel bars suddenly and explosively disconnect from incorrectly installed framing members.
On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:48:39 +0100, Andy Dingley
And _still_ you only just managed to string two sentences together....<G>