Thinking of taking up woodworking...

but most of the people I've met who do woodworking are antisocial.

Comments?

Reply to
Billy Carver

Nice try.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Where do you live, and what organizations are around? Try to find a woodworkers club (Woodcraft, if there is one near), or a woodworking class at community college.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

I can see why you would think I was kiding, but i'm not. Most of the guys I've met can barely string two sentences together.

What's this newsgroup like?

Reply to
Billy Carver

Maybe it is you?!

Reply to
toller

Take up square dancing.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Yep

Anti social

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't worry, there is always room for one more...

Reply to
Hax Planx

You'll fit right in.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Woodworking is not a team sport. An hour yacking is an hour away from actually working with the wood and, if you love working with wood, that means that an hour yacking is an hour lost forever.

Bill

Reply to
Bill C.

Damn straight - now piss off.

:)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Reply to
David Bridgeman

Obviously, then, you should try _round_ dancing. (yes, there really is such a thing. :)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Do you mean "antisocial" (don't spend a lot of time chatting just for fun) or illiterate ("can barely string two sentences together")? I agree with the other posts saying woodworking is generally an individual activity, and if you're looking for something to do to meet people or chat, try something else. In my opinion, however, woodworking is an enjoyable and satisfying hobby, and time spent working wood is great time spent with my own thoughts and without distractions (including other people). If you're implying that woodworkers are not smart, however, I'd have to disagree. I am currently finishing my MS in biotechnology, one woodworking friend is a successful computer programmer and web designer, and another is an engineer. Given the number of posts that are longer than 2 sentences, I'd have to argue that this newsgroup is more literate than your stereotype.

Reply to
Andy

Woodworking might not be easier than software, but it's more straightforward. I've never had to cut dovetails deliberately back-to-front because that was the only way to make them work with M$oft PineyWood for Windowframes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And another major advantage of woodworking is that clients don't phone at

2:30am to complain that an end table isn't working right.

Doug Miller

They bloody well do !

Not that I mind. Just don't phone me at 9am and expect a sensible reply.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hi Billy,

The greatest thing about woodworking is that you work with wood 90% of the time and people the other 10%. If you have a shop pet, maybe only 5%.

Adds up to 95% satisfaction.

Best thing about it.

Nicest thing about the wreck - same stats.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And _still_ you only just managed to string two sentences together....

Reply to
Old Nick