The Wreck's score - 68 noise to 9 signal.

Page 1 of 3

I'm a lurker -- a Canadian somewhat interested in woodworking. Been following the wreck for a year or so --- started out getting some useful information ... but I'm getting tired watching all the political ideologues take over the wreck for the past few months.
Out of curiousity this morning, I hit "get unread messages" ... in the past half dozen hours, there were 77 posts, 9 of which were even remotely related to woodworking.
That's an eleven percent signal to noise ratio.
I don't have a big problem with off topic posts --- humour, home repair questions, auto stuff, things like that. But I do have a problem with the overhwhelming number of posts with U.S. political and religious orientation.
This is an international forum. I don't see Canadians posting about Canadian politics, Aussies posting about Aussie politics or Brits posting about British poliltics. Many of us may have strong feelings about our native political scenes .. but we do not think they should be aired in a group dedicated to woodworking.
Perhaps you Americans could give the rest of us a break. If you want to argue politics, do it somewhere more appropriate.
I'm interested in what Tom Watson, for example, thin ks about woodworking; he has demonstratable expertise. I really don't care what he thinks about politics or the state of the universe -- as far as I can see, he has no credentials that would suggest any particular insight..
And the same goes for all the others.
Go start an American political debate newsgroup.
Ken
Yes! I agree with you 100%, and think something should be done. Any ideas?
JP

Yeah, let's split the group.....
;-)
Dave Hall

Nahhh.. how about a moderator?
*ducking*
Robatoy wrote:

Nah. Combine the two ideas. Two groups. Two moderators. Maybe ol' Whatsisname and his girlfriend are available. The could take BOTH groups and shift everyone back onto the page of woodworking righteousness.

heh...
since you give no indication who or what you are replying to, it's wide open....
so, what should be done that you have agreed 100% to...
revocation of independence?
http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/revocation.asp
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Oh I was just being a little tongue in cheek. I play over on rec.skiing.alpine some too, so I assure you I'm in no way offended by off-topic postings.

Yes! I propose that *I* make the rules, you know benevolent dictator and all.

That site'll probably wipe out my hard drive or something, right?
JP

snopes is an urban myth debunking site. it's vary safe to visit.
the item I linked to is a funny bit of email chain letter that claims to be from John Cleese. it isn't, but it is funny. go read it ...
[snip]

No, but there are a few Canadians that post about American politics here...

As noted, it's not just the Americans at fault.
And, for what it's worth, _your_own_ post increases the ratio of noise to signal.
Bottom line: nobody's forcing you to read anything. Forte Agent has excellent killfile and filtering capabilities, I'm told. Perhaps you should learn to use them.
--
Regards,

So...by that logic, if I were to buy the house next door to you and blast obnoxious music all day, you wouldn't bitch, right? After all, you wouldn't be forced to listen - you could put in ear plugs, or go somewhere for a while.
The attitude you're expressing enables poor behavior.
Jason

Um, no. It's more like: You're walking down the street, and see a bar with lots of motorcycles, and people with leather jackets walking in and out.l You choose to go in. Once you're in, you announce to the crowd that you just can't stand bikers.

Complaining about something that's clearly marked, easily avoided, and that you yourself choose to read, is also poor behavior. Me, I don't see any value in widely crossposted threads, so I configured my newsreader to silently ignore them for me. I also don't see any value coming from certain posters, so I likewise configured my newsreader to silently ignore them for me. It's really not complicated, and helps to improve what I see as the signal:noise ratio. Someone's off-topic message? Maybe noise. Someone bitching about reading something off-topic, when they could easily avoid doing so in any one of many methods? Definately noise.
Dave Hinz

Piss poor example. You compare behavior that is socially unacceptable and most likely against the law to something that is easily filtered.

Totally different circumstance, and I think you know that. People choose what they do, or do not, read. It is impossible to avoid hearing sounds that are above the threshold of audibility.

Oh, come off it. The OP is complaining because he read something he didn't like. Simple solution: don't read it.

--
Regards,
Sorry about that, but this is, in fact, a rather serious debate going on in the US. The religious right keeps trying to insert some form of creationism into school - the camel's nose in the doorway. I thought these threads had about died out a few days ago, but they have come roaring back. Don't read them. Kill the thread. This too shall pass.

Steve Peterson wrote:

That is why there are plenty of newsgroups where the discussion would be on-topic.
It is not just the schools where the camel's noes is being thrust, it is this ng too.
--

FF

I think the camel is all the way in in this NG
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 18:01:46 GMT, "Steve Peterson"

Then post it in a serious US Politics forum. Why should people have to spend a day and a half searching for a topic on woodworking in a woodworking forum to please the whim of a few who excuse themselves sometimes by saying it's OT? It's like saying liudly that you're going to fart in a theater. Don't fart there. Do it somewhere else, like alt.politics.bush. If the issues are that serious talk to your congressman instead of ranting here. ...If you really do want some serious results that is. You'll get none here.
Another thing that has already been mentioned. If the off-topic crap is stopped then some real woodworking people will return to the forum with some good ideas to offer. Instead, they leave in disgust.
Guess who wrote:

Theaters don't have fart filters. Most ISPs offer filters that allow EASY kill filing of OT messages.
Charlie Self wrote:

Irrelevant.
DAGS on UseNet nettiquette.
--

FF

Charlie owes me a monitor and keyboard cleaning. . . . . . . ....damn, that struck me a very funny.