the router workshop show any good?

Page 1 of 2
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS? any comments on whether you guys like it?
>Ah10201 wrote:

A lot of good techniques(safety included), jigs and the Dad is allright. I think the kid teases him some at assembly time over some of his off-screen mix-ups. Tom Work at your leisure!

After about 5 shows, you realize that you already know how to change bits in your router so seeing them change bits 6 or 7 times during a show gets old fast. Also watching them route each and every piece that is exactly the same gets real old fast also. They remind me of watching a single person on an assemble line doing the same routine over and over and over and over. They need to explain what they are doing and why more so than thinking that will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and over and over and .........
Oddly, when a Norm thread gets started, one of the constant criticisms is that he doesn't spend airtime showing mistakes and setups, but makes it appear the first do not happen and the second appear as if by magic.
The show is good, basic technique, interspersed with forehead-smacking "damn, why didn't I ever think of that" moments. I can imagine the makers of knickknacks at craft shows taping every episode.

in
on
that
They have a repetition problem, but my complaint is they seem to think that the router is all you need. Where did those jigs come from? How about the templates? The jigs and templates are often the interesting part of the project. One you have them, using them is a snap.
Steve

"Leon" wrote in message

that
You just hit the reason I quit watching it a couple years back. I didn't even know it was still on.
BTW, I noticed that DJM's Wood Works has three different shows today (Sat- Time-Warner DIY 211). How long has that been going on? I've set the DVR to hopefully catch two of them (10 - 11 AM) while I run up the country this morning.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I use the DVR also. I think 2 or 3 news shows started about 2 or 3 weeks ago. He is doing different kinda stuff. A tall magazine stand, an out door red wood gate with a copper center, and a simple bowl on his lathe. I have not had a chance to see what was going on today.
I envy you sobs. To get DJM I have to subscribe to a whole mess of HDTV package that I don't want. The few episodes of his show I caught on HGTV looked great. I was looking forward to seeing some more but in the Minneapolis market, I guess it was just a come on to get you into the bigger package if you were interested.
bob g.
Swingman wrote:

Bob, you need to look at whether a satellite would meet your needs. We bought DirecTV w/TiVo to get some special programming we wanted, and found a whole bunch of other channels we really enjoy. For a lower cost than expanded basic cable.
The cable company wanted a Digital tier, with extra packages, to get some of the same channels, but not the one we really wanted...
And a DVR really frees up your viewing patterns, particularly if you are trying to catch some old Norm reruns, which show at 6:00 am or some unwatchable hour...
Patriarch
Leon did say:

For a beginner watching, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

The somber ceremony of removing watches and rings before every show, ceremoniously storing them in a wooden box got kind of old. I much preferred Norms, "... and remember there is no more important safety rule than to wear these, your safety glasses" At least the disclaimer doesn't take as long as the "watch in the box" ceremony.

Euww.... I do not think I ever witnessed the watch in the box ceremony..
Whats up w/ the thing on the top of the dads head? Looks like they plug him in there or something!

I've seen two. Not my cup of tea...
If I had that growth on the top of my head it would worry me. I would have long had it taken care of.

That's the pressure relief valve. If I had a boy like that I'd need one too.

... snip

Yeah, I'm sure it's just the television atmosphere, but he doesn't seem to be the sharpest bit in the drawer, does he?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:58:21 -0700, Mark & Juanita

I'd guess he's had competent medical advice that the bump on his head is not a threat. Pay attention to his wood working and ignore his head.
bob g.