the router workshop show any good?

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Page 1 of 2
1
2 > last»
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

Re: the router workshop show any good?

A lot of good techniques(safety included), jigs and the Dad is allright. I
think the kid teases him some at assembly time over some of his off-screen
mix-ups. Tom
Work at your leisure!

Re: the router workshop show any good?

After about 5 shows, you realize that you already know how to change bits in
your router so seeing them change bits 6 or 7 times during a show gets old
fast.  Also watching them route each and every piece that is exactly the
same gets real old fast also.  They remind me of watching a single person on
an assemble line doing the same routine over and over and over and over.
They need to explain what they are doing and why more so than thinking that
will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and
over and over and .........

Re: the router workshop show any good?
Oddly, when a Norm thread gets started, one of the constant criticisms is
that he doesn't spend airtime showing mistakes and setups, but makes it
appear the first do not happen and the second appear as if by magic.

The show is good, basic technique, interspersed with forehead-smacking
"damn, why didn't I ever think of that" moments.   I can imagine the makers
of knickknacks at craft shows taping every episode.

that

Re: the router workshop show any good?
They have a repetition problem, but my complaint is they seem to think that
the router is all you need.  Where did those jigs come from?  How about the
templates?  The jigs and templates are often the interesting part of the
project.  One you have them, using them is a snap.

Steve

Re: the router workshop show any good?

that
You just hit the reason I quit watching it a couple years back. I didn't
even know it was still on.

BTW, I noticed that DJM's Wood Works has three different shows today (Sat-
Time-Warner DIY 211). How long has that been going on? I've set the DVR to
hopefully catch two of them (10 - 11 AM) while I run up the country this
morning.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Re: the router workshop show any good?

I use the DVR also.  I think 2 or 3 news shows started about 2 or 3 weeks
ago.  He is doing different kinda stuff.  A tall magazine stand, an out door
red wood gate with a copper center, and a simple bowl on his lathe.  I have
not had a chance to see what was going on today.

Re: the router workshop show any good?
I envy you sobs.  To get DJM I have to subscribe to a whole mess of HDTV
package that I don't want.  The few episodes of his show I caught on
HGTV looked great.  I was looking forward to seeing some more but in the
Minneapolis market, I guess it was just a come on to get you into the
bigger package if you were interested.

bob g.

Re: the router workshop show any good?

Bob, you need to look at whether a satellite would meet your needs.  We
bought DirecTV w/TiVo to get some special programming we wanted, and found
a whole bunch of other channels we really enjoy.  For a lower cost than
expanded basic cable.

The cable company wanted a Digital tier, with extra packages, to get some
of the same channels, but not the one we really wanted...

And a DVR really frees up your viewing patterns, particularly if you are
trying to catch some old Norm reruns, which show at 6:00 am or some
unwatchable hour...

Patriarch

Re: the router workshop show any good?
Leon did say:

For a beginner watching, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Re: the router workshop show any good?

  The somber ceremony of removing watches and rings before every show,
ceremoniously storing them in a wooden box got kind of old.  I much
preferred Norms, "... and remember there is no more important safety rule
than to wear these, your safety glasses"  At least the disclaimer doesn't
take as long as the "watch in the box" ceremony.

Re: the router workshop show any good?

Euww....  I do not think I ever witnessed the watch in the box ceremony..

Re: the router workshop show any good?
Whats up w/ the thing on the top of the dads head?
Looks like they plug him in there or something!

Re: the router workshop show any good?

Um that is a veriable speed controll.  ;~)

Re: the router workshop show any good?

I've seen two. Not my cup of tea...

Re: the router workshop show any good?
If I had that growth on the top of my head it would worry me. I would have
long had it taken care of.

Re: the router workshop show any good?
That's the pressure relief valve.   If I had a boy like that I'd need
one too.

Re: the router workshop show any good?
... snip

  Yeah, I'm sure it's just the television atmosphere, but he doesn't seem
to be the sharpest bit in the drawer, does he?

Re: the router workshop show any good?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:58:21 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Re: the router workshop show any good?
I'd guess he's had competent medical advice that the bump on his head is
not a threat.  Pay attention to his wood working and ignore his head.

bob g.