less expensive twin screw vise???

I need an end vise, I would like a twin screw. Does anyone think this would work, to mount two tail vise screws on the same end face, would it work well that way? Maybe buy two bicycle sprocket gears, have the local machinist bore the centers to fit the shafts outside of the mounting flanges, and weld them on. Any advise or ideas on this?

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

mount

outside of

I don't see any theoretical reason this wouldn't work. One downside of this approach is - unless you incorporate some method of disconnecting one sprocket from the shaft - you have no convenient way to cant the vise jaws.

Another downside might be - and I haven't run any numbers, so I'm not certain about this - when all is said and done, you may well have as much or more money (and time) tied up in the home-designed vise as if you had bought one. I'm often surprised to find out how much it costs me to "improve" on a commercially available item, not counting the time invested.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

What a pain for minimal savings. Just get the Veritas and support a great US based company, Lee Valley.

Brian.

would work, to mount

the shafts outside of

Reply to
Brian

I was thinking of their LV tail vise screws because they are 2nd to the the least expensive I can find on the 'net. Minimal savings? 32.50 x 2 = 65.00, bike gears 12.00 = 77.00, machinist 20.00 = 97.00, chain 6.00 = 103.00 hardwood handle doweling xx.xx etc etc... mounting nuts and bolts xx.xx jaw wood 15.00 to 30.00 on and on, you might be right. But a PAIN? No, the creativity compensates for that.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Now that is too true Tom, good point! Unless I use a chain breaker, that would be inconvenient.

That I answered in reply to Brian's reply. Very true point as well.

Reply to
AAvK

It is a great company, but isn't it based in Canada? It isn't part of the US yet...

Reply to
Tim

Hehe, fine. North American based. :-) Still a rarity these days.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I think most companies are N. American based... we just won't pay what it costs for them to sell American made tools..

Reply to
mac davis

I just posted some WIP pics (@ ABPW) of a pipe-clamp based end vise I am building. Look for:

WIP - Poor Boys Bench and End Vise

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I know I replied there. Might be a cool idea for me. 'Cause I be a po' boy!

Alex

Reply to
AAvK