the router workshop show any good?

Euww.... I do not think I ever witnessed the watch in the box ceremony..

Reply to
Leon

SawDust

Rather than the same cuts over & over, it would be more interesting (IMHO) to see how the jigs were made.

Big John

Take out the TRASH for E-mail.

Reply to
WilliaJ2

The one thing I really didn't like about the show was that they went too fast. I don't mean that they rushed any one step, but they strung them together end to end so I was left breathless. Maybe they have the kind of experience they need to work like machines, but I need to stop and think before doing the next step, and I like to savour the step I just completed. My feeling was, "I'm only watching TV. What's the rush?"

I also echo someone else's remark that they do everything with the router, when there are other tools that would work just fine (or better). The router is such a great tool you don't need to do a sales job on it to convince me to use it.

I stopped watching the show after we got cable. Weird. Our cable company doesn't carry that station, but I could pull it through the antenna just fine. I'd probably still watch it if I could, but only sporadically.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Hi Owen,

Some magazine's carry their advertisement to sell their router table, jigs, collars etc. Early on their shows were good for technique, but after a while it seemed like you needed to own every collar, bushing, jig etc to do any of their projects. I haven't seen their show in a while. Maybe it's changed.

Regardless, I agree there are better tools available for certain aspects of their projects. Router's are not saws and vice versa. Pat

Reply to
SawDust

I envy you sobs. To get DJM I have to subscribe to a whole mess of HDTV package that I don't want. The few episodes of his show I caught on HGTV looked great. I was looking forward to seeing some more but in the Minneapolis market, I guess it was just a come on to get you into the bigger package if you were interested.

bob g.

Sw>>will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and

Reply to
Robert Galloway

I'd guess he's had competent medical advice that the bump on his head is not a threat. Pay attention to his wood working and ignore his head.

bob g.

Rob wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:6963-41965360-672@storefull-

3155.bay.webtv.net:

Yes, it can be, and often is.

Watching raw linseed oil cure is more interesting, and often more informative.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Robert Galloway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Bob, you need to look at whether a satellite would meet your needs. We bought DirecTV w/TiVo to get some special programming we wanted, and found a whole bunch of other channels we really enjoy. For a lower cost than expanded basic cable.

The cable company wanted a Digital tier, with extra packages, to get some of the same channels, but not the one we really wanted...

And a DVR really frees up your viewing patterns, particularly if you are trying to catch some old Norm reruns, which show at 6:00 am or some unwatchable hour...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Then you must know for sure what it is and that it can be removed. Details please?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, I watch it. Contrary to what everyone else is saying about it, I like the show. I find it pretty informative. Sure there are repitions of cuts and all, but they usually explain what bit they are using, and why they do it a certain way. They are not pushing the use of the latest and greatest, can't live without it, full featured tool. They are not pushing their video and measured drawring for 25 bux a pop on how to build a sawhorse, etc.

Sure, there are other tools that will work better than the router for different operations, but I think that what the Rosenthalls are trying to show is that several things can be done with just a router. I think what they are trying to show is that to folks having a normal budget, not an unlimited one such as Norm seems to have, a router might be a very utilitarian tool to have. It can do the job of several high priced tools, so don't think that you can't make good looking projects just because you don't own the latest gizmo that is on the market.

There have been shows in the recent past that actually show a chop saw and even a table saw in their workshop. Yes, I would like to see how they make some of their jigs and patterns, but to me, that is a minor thing. I just enjoy watching them. They sure are easier to watch than 'Handyma'am' and 'Bruce Johnson', or Jay what's his name in Ultimate workshop.

I guess it is "To each, his own" when it comes to woodworking shows. They must all be good to different audiences. I watch Norm, David, the Rosenthalls, Roy and used to watch Scott Philips and John Shiloats, both who are not available here in my area anymore. I get useful info from all of them.

Make more sawdust, watch the shows you like and don't watch the ones you don't like.

WoodworkerDan Dan Harriman Orange, Texas

Reply to
Dan

I second your opinion Dan. I enjoy watching them and all the others you mentioned a lot.

Reply to
Ace

Think that's why they call it The ROUTER Workshop?

Reply to
George

I haven't seen the show in a long time. Does the father still have that knobbly thing on the top of his head?

Fred the Red Shirt

I've watched it. Lot's of good advice but the projects they build IMHO are mostly ugly. I have one word for the dad....CAP. That thing is distracting. You catch yourself watching it instead of the project.

> --

Reply to
Tom Young