The Quarter Test,,,,, Screw the big fat nickel

Page 2 of 2

Typical flash flooding in the streets. Some areas got 5~7 inches in fewer hours.. Swingman's street flooded but that is not unusual and his house sets considerably higher than the street, by design. He is in side the Loop. I am out side the loop about 20 miles west, got 2.5" over 5 hours and hardly saw any water in the streets at all.
"Leon" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------- No harm, no foul.
Glad to see damage was limited.
To bad, but it appears about the only good thing that happens in urban areas is that heavy rainfall clears the streets before finding the drains.
If some type system existed to capture heavy rains and send them back to the aquifer, it would eliminate a lot of water rights fights.
Lew

We do have have a system for capturing rain for future use, we call it Lake Houston. That lake probably handles half of the Houston Metro area. That said, our bayous direct the water to the bay and gulf within a few hours after the rain stops.
"Leon" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------- That helps to solve the short term flooding problem but unfortunately is doesn't address the longer term issue of rebuilding the aquifers which have taken a beating in the SouthWest the last few years.
Lew
On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 15:24:28 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

What does Houston have to do with the South West?

I was kinda wondering that myself. If the SW simply had the rain fall each year that we do they would be looking for ways to get rid of the water.
I think they problem in the SW is that you build large communities in the arid desert and expect the water supply to hold up.

,plant the same plants (grass) you had back in New York,

Not to mention the absurdities of the federal government's water subsidies.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

In newer development (at least some of the time), those "run-off ponds" are required. I don't know the details. But cities Have Learned from experience.
In the words of a civil engineer (not me), if you strip the land and remove the natural flow of the water, you have to create somewhere for the water to go (now).
Bill

On 4/30/2013 10:05 AM, Bill wrote:

Actually since the great flood in Houston 12 years ago developers have been putting in retention ponds for the sewer water to collect before eventually ending up in of of the many bayous. Many retention ponds don't retain water for the purpose of conservation but mainly for added value for a lot that is adjacent to one.
The biggest reason for these ponds is not so much because of the disruption of the natural water flow so to speak, concrete simply does not let water reach the ground. The ground would soak up the water if it could.
Leon wrote:

Yes, that's what I was saying. You end up with a whole lot of water somewhere where you don't want it. I think you should be corrected for correcting me on this point ("simply does not let the water reach the ground" --sheesh!). : )
Bill

On 4/30/2013 2:13 PM, Bill wrote:

Sorry Bill, I read you comment as indicating that the water could not flow toward a river and or bayou because of development.
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Looks like Houston got hit pretty good.
How did you folks fare?
Lew Rain??? what is that? South central Colorado. Canon city. WW
On 4/29/2013 12:13 PM, WW wrote:

Rain is what is at the bottom of your deep trench. :~)
"WW" wrote in message

I know it rained there July 11, 2011... got wet while riding my bicycle through there with my son on our trip from La Junta, CO to Pasco, WA.... Judging by what I saw of that area I'd think days like that would be memorable.... it was clearly VERY dry there normally!
John
On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 13:05:02 -0500, Leon wrote:

Safety is my motivation as well, I have worked since 1984 in various woodworking industries and I still have all ten, I hope to keep it that way. It would be a shame to spend all those years in industry and lose a bunch of fingers at home in my waning years.

I have used others T-fence saws, but not long enough to develope confidence in their accuracy, this is just a experience thing and will cure itself.

Absolutely

Very much, Thanks
basilisk

Set it and forget it.
I dialed mine into just a few thousandths of perfect. I never noticed any p roblem. Checked it once lately after more than a year and was still pretty much where I left it. I am very careful with it but I have a cabinet maker using it too and he jambs all kinds of big stuff through it.