THe price of wood

Page 4 of 4
Ron Short wrote:

Now that's interesting. I haven't been by the wood store in a year now for assorted reasons, but the last time I bought walnut there, it was $4.70/bf, and it had O'Shea Lumber Company on a piece of paper stapled to one of the boards.
Crikey.

BZZZZZT! The prices quoted are 'per 1000 bd ft', *not* for the entire inventory as a single lot.
The 8/4 poplar is $1.26/bd ft. ($1260/1000 bd ft.) 18M bd ft in stock The 4/4 ash is $1.29/bd ft. ($1290/1000 bd ft.) 15M bd ft in stock
(For the 4/4 walnut they did not specify the quantity for the $2750 price, but, given that _everything_else_ is priced 'per thousand bd ft', it _is_ fair to assume that that is the way the walnut is priced, as well. Thus: )
The 4/4 walnut is $2.75/bd ft. ($2750/1000 bd ft.) 10M bd ft in stock.
You don't have to buy the entire inventory of any of those items, to get the indicated pricing. minimum order is only 500 bd ft.

*OR* that one should learn how to read a price list. <grin>
Ron Short wrote:

Ron, I think you have a misconception about that table. The number in the first column is the quantity they have on hand, the one in the third is the price per thousand board feet. The price in the third column is _not_ for the entire quantity in the first column.
Further, on another page of the site, they say that their minimum buy is 500 board feet, not "thousands".

--
--John

interesting question... after my last couple of trips to the borg, I was going to ask a related question: Are the hurricanes in the south what's raising plywood prices so fast??
On my last 2 projects, both involving several shop drawers, I was going to use 3/8" or 1/2" plywood for the drawer sides and backs because it was the less expensive way to go.. On both projects, plywood had gone up so much, it was cheaper to buy fairly nice quality Douglas Fir than it was to use pine plywood... wtf is wrong with that picture??
I know that you're talking about REAL wood, but my budget and skill level doesn't allow that yet..

The big factor seems to be the increasing worldwide demand for plywood. I stumbled on a site that tracked world lumber consumption by country or area on a monthly basis and the current report indicated supplies are tight and prices firm to rising in all areas. (Unfortunately I didn't bookmark the site.)

--RC You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes

Er, I think I was feeling a bit depressed when I sent that to the NG.
Late on a cold, dull gray afternoon is bad for me.
Also, I do have a fixed income, and my ideas often far outstrip my resources.Lastly but not leastly, I am feeling myself beginning to slow down from being 62. Memory and shoulders both. I could throw un a few more but who needs to read all that negative stuff- maybe more inventiveness will come of this?
So I emitted a carp and got my response.
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com