THe price of wood

BZZZZZT! The prices quoted are 'per 1000 bd ft', *not* for the entire inventory as a single lot.

The 8/4 poplar is $1.26/bd ft. ($1260/1000 bd ft.) 18M bd ft in stock The 4/4 ash is $1.29/bd ft. ($1290/1000 bd ft.) 15M bd ft in stock

(For the 4/4 walnut they did not specify the quantity for the $2750 price, but, given that _everything_else_ is priced 'per thousand bd ft', it _is_ fair to assume that that is the way the walnut is priced, as well. Thus: )

The 4/4 walnut is $2.75/bd ft. ($2750/1000 bd ft.) 10M bd ft in stock.

You don't have to buy the entire inventory of any of those items, to get the indicated pricing. minimum order is only 500 bd ft.

*OR* that one should learn how to read a price list.
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

First this is Idaho, we don't have any comershal hard wood here, so we have to import it from other parts of the country. Most of it's plantation stuff rubbertree, Philopine Mahogany, and the like, but they have a spray finishing process, that he keeps promising to show me, still hasn't, that can make it look like just about anything they want, with in reason

Reply to
Richard Clements

Ron, I think you have a misconception about that table. The number in the first column is the quantity they have on hand, the one in the third is the price per thousand board feet. The price in the third column is _not_ for the entire quantity in the first column.

Further, on another page of the site, they say that their minimum buy is 500 board feet, not "thousands".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Er, I think I was feeling a bit depressed when I sent that to the NG.

Late on a cold, dull gray afternoon is bad for me.

Also, I do have a fixed income, and my ideas often far outstrip my resources.Lastly but not leastly, I am feeling myself beginning to slow down from being 62. Memory and shoulders both. I could throw un a few more but who needs to read all that negative stuff- maybe more inventiveness will come of this?

So I emitted a carp and got my response.

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Reply to
brocpuffs

OK, I was wondering how they could sell it so cheap. What does the "M" stand for?

Reply to
Ron Short

Ron Short asks:

1,000.

Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Mille - Latin for a thousand. Also Frog, if memory serves.

Reply to
George

Oh! You mean "k"! ;)

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:13:03 -0800, "Brett A. Thomas" spake the words:

No, K is 1024, exactly. No mas, no menos, señor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

Yeah, yeah, tell it to the company that manufactured my hard drive...

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

Not much point in regret. Pallet wood is sort of like a bowl full of plastic candy. It looks good until you taste it. Spiral nails, embedded grits, knots, splits, and it's usually too thin to mill down into anything useful besides. I don't even look through the pallet pile anymore. It's too frustrating. So much work, so little useful wood.

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan responds:

I've got to agree. I picked up a tool yesterday for a test, and looked at some of the discarded pallets at the trucking company. Yuk. The ones that weren't filthy were made of some 3/8" scrub oak, with what grain was showing through the rough really ugly.

You'd spend hours getting enough wood for a small box, and then, more often than not, the box would end up ugly.

I used to use pallets for kindling with wood heat, but quit when my ash cleaning chores brought up so many old nails. Too much hassle to get them out of the grates.

Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:28:53 -0800, "Brett A. Thomas" spake the words:

Your drives are so old they're measured in K, are they'? =:0

That's the difference of "megs less overhead", sir. Net vs. gross, KWIM,V? Kinda like Searz horsepower vs. reality.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. *

's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Larry Jaques

There's actually a real answer to this problem. I think they invented kibibytes and mebibytes or some silly froof like that. I forget which is which, but one of them is the proper powers of two version, and the other is the lazy HD manufacturer's multiples of 1000 version.

Reply to
Silvan

oh, but then we have to get into actual vs. formatted size... maybe they should sell hard drives in "nominal" sizes?

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
Richard Clements

Not the least of which is that hard drive manufacturers have been using the standard that "megabyte = 1000 bytes; gigabyte = 1000 megabytes (of 1000 bytes)" ever since about the time when the first IDE hard disks came out. It's a marketing gimmick. No mystery to it. Caveat emptor.

Reply to
Silvan

Not really Sylvan. It's always been that a K was 1024 bytes and at the same time the entire industry has loosely used the term K. Everyone knew what it really was, but the rounding was just convenient, since the error was trivial. The marketing claim you suggest above would actually work in the consumer's favor. A kilo byte is 1024 bytes, but according to your statement above, it should mean 1000 bytes. You're actually getting 24 bytes free from the manufacturer. No marketing scam there. Same thing as you scale up in size. BTW, I know you probably just screwed this up, but a megabyte is 1,000,000 bytes - rounded. As to the available space - well that's a formatting issue. The drive does indeed contain the space as advertised, but formatting takes up some of it leaving you something less.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

[snip of strange brews]

To clarify, let me present jo4hn's terminology for counting bytes: one byte, two bytes, many zigabytes. J4's lemma to a well known axiom: No matter how big a resource you give them, software mavens will not only fill it up but will exceed it.

And finally the definition of a computer: an incredibly fast idiot with a zillion toes to count on.

As the man said, hope this helps.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Uh, no, he didn't screw it up. That was my original point with my crack that, when someone tried to correct my original "k" joke, that they should tell it to my hard drive manufacturer.

Forever, in computer science, 1K (kilobyte) has been 2^10 bytes, or 1024 bytes. 1M (megabyte) has been 2^20 bytes, or 1K * 1K, or 1,048,576 bytes. 1G (gigabyte) has been 2^30 bytes, or 1M * 1K, or 1,073,741,824 bytes. There are good reasons for these odd results, having to do with the binary system computers use internally.

When hard drive manufacturers first started selling hard drives, they "rounded down," and advertised drive capacities as being on the 10^x scale. So, an advertised "50 megabyte" drive that a computer scientist would expect to have 52,428,800 bytes of storage space really only had

50,000,000 bytes of storage space. Back in the 50 megabyte days, nobody much noticed.

Now, hard drives are much larger, and the error is, too. A new, "250 gigabyte" drive that a computer scientist would expect to have 250 *

1073741824 = 268,435,456,000 bytes. But the HD manufacturer sells you a drive that actually holds 250,000,000,000 bytes. That's where most of the quoted vs. actual difference goes, and why, if you put in a "250GB" fresh drive, your computer will tell you it's a 232GB hard drive, even before you put a filesystem on it. It's not "overhead" or OEM controlling, or any of that stuff. It's that, if you look on the fine print of the HD box, there's a little asterisk that says "we consider 1GB to 1 billion bytes." This is not true of other types of computer memory; for example, when you buy "1 GB" of RAM for your computer, you're getting storage for 1,073,741,824 bytes. If you bought a "1 GB" hard drive, though, it'd have storage for 1,000,000,000 bytes.

Finally, a topic in this newsgroup I actually know something about! :D

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas