Re: What's the price of wood these days?

We are in late stages of finishing out a house in Southeast Kansas.

> We dug the hole last August and moved in, unfinished, during March > When you break "wood" into categories of construction lumber and > finish hardwood products prices are generally down from our bids of > 16-18 months ago. > > Construction Lumber - All dimensional lumber (2x4, 2x6, etc) was > delivered cheaper than bid.  Recent trips to the lumber yard seems to > indicate prices have dropped even more since last autumn, but not > much.  Nearly all of the sheet goods (Ply, OSB, etc,) was delivered at > the bid price.  I credit part of the price decline to a very good > lumber dealer who works hard to keep his customers happy. > > Hardwood - The SE Kansas and SW Missouri area is full of Oak, Walnut, > Pecan, Hickory and similar hardwoods.  I don't believe the prices for > these materials has changed much in the past three years.  However I > did pick up 150 bf of Red Oak a couple of weeks ago and it was > slightly cheaper than the mills price list.  But based on > conversation, I think he gave us a good price knowing we would be > back.  In other words, they were feeling the pinch too. > > We have two local "cabinet shops" and both are very busy.  O

Weird. That message sent itself in the middle of a keystroke.

We have two local "cabinet shops" and both are very busy. One is a small family-run operation that has a good reputation across the four- state region. His wife said they think they are picking up slack for some shops that have gone under. The serve new home builders as well as schools, businesses, etc.

The other is an anomaly. In this tiny, land-locked community in the dead-center of the continent, we have a company that builds interiors for yachts. Apparently they are among a fairly small number of companies in the world that do this kind of work and it is eye- popping. Their cabinetry goes into boats in the $2M and up range and they have outfitted some in the $40M range. In addition to cabinetwork they do a lot of the project management that it takes to get a yacht into the water. They travel world-wide to meet with customers, usually the yacht manufacturers. A year ago one of they were thinking they were recession-proof. One of their guys said "Folks who can lay out $10 to $40M on a yacht aren't worried about the price of gas or food." I don't think they would say that again but they do remain quiet busy with plans to expand during the next fairly soon.

Reply to
RonB

That's a common story in the construction business. The good guys are staying busy with the slack left by the opportunist's who were forced out by the the downturn.

Reply to
Swingman