The oven trick works

Probably old news for most of you, but the oven trick works for ungluing.

I had a panel that I need to unglue (Lepages), so I popped in the oven for an hour at 200 F. It came apart no problem and I was able to clean the old glue out of the joint.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Was that hide glue?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Geez, 6 months ago I asked about ungluing and was told it was impossible. I am not familiar with Lepages; is it plain old yellow glue?

Reply to
toller

So the wood was not damaged?

Reply to
Leon

The Lepages glue I remember was used as a "school glue". I had a bottle of it in grammar school. I remember it because the label actually indicated that it was " Mint Flavored" . Amber and translucent. Looked like and was about the same consistency as honey.

Reply to
Leon

Yep, I think it's a PVA glue. Don't have the bottle handy.

Reply to
Bill Stock

I should think not, at only 200F. Certainly won't char, for example. If it weren't dry, it might move a bit due to moisture loss.

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

There's a bit of darkening on the bottom, but it will probably sand out. I'm sure if I'd put a pan under the panel to prevent direct heat, this could have been avoided. It would probably be a good idea to use the top rack as well. Since the bottom of the panel will be out of sight (not a door), I'm not too concerned.

Reply to
Bill Stock

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 04:31:32 GMT, "toller" scribbled:

Lepage is a glue manufacturer, probably only in Canada. All kinds of adhesives, white glue, yellow carpenter's glue, water resistant PVA, construction adhesives, contact cement, rubber cement, etc. I also remember Lepage paper glue (mucilage ?) in elementary school. It came in small glass bottles with a rubber spout that you pressed on the stuff to be glued which would then open the slit & let some glue out. I will never admit to having eaten any of the stuff.

OP probably means white (Lepage Bondfast) or yellow (Lepage Carpenter's) glue.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Sounds like mucilage. IOW, plant mucous.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

And, as an added bonus, the wood is now kiln dried.

Reply to
mp

LOL.... Was yours Mint Flavored also... Did you ever "not eat" ;~) any white paste either?

Reply to
Leon

Well you just answered my 44 year old question... LOL Probably Mint plant mucous.

Reply to
Leon

On the top rack,eh? Let's see ... "Broiled" white oak, the latest in finishing techniques. ;>)

Reply to
Swingman

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:32:43 GMT, "Leon" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Suck a Tictac....blow your nose...stick it!

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

Reply to