The internet as we know it in the USA just died a bit today.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-net-neutrality-20140114,0,522106.story#axzz2qPxRs4Ey
I heard about this on the 5pm news... this is not good, as we know what the big companies do when they have a chance. They screw us over so they can make more money.
Imagine being blocked by your ISP because they provide a competing service..
--
Jeff

On 1/14/2014 5:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Welcome to our government with it's hands in the pockets of large corporations.
On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:28:33 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

It's more like big corps having their hands wrapped around the nuts of the government -- and squeezing.
Larry
On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 22:23:20 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

THe FCC rules are part of the problem, which are written by congress, which get them from the lobbyists .......................

That street is two way. In fact, the road just as often goes the other way. Congress just as often extorts money from the lobbyists.
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 17:21:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

It is the American Way.

Unfortunately, one can't just point the finger at lobbyists. At least there is no question who they're working for.
woodchucker wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up! Imagine "election season" the ISPs have a political agenda... It would seem that there's lots to "worry about"...
Bill
On 1/14/2014 6:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:

While on the surface this is not good, but competition is the word. Today people are not tied to one internet provider. As with newspapers if the user does not like the politics and policies of the provider they go with someone else.
Compare the incomes of Fox News to NBC and some of the other government networks. NBC has recently restructured because of financial losses.
Look at the Liberal newspapers. They are losing readers, and are financially cutting back because of the lack of income.
We recently dropped the Raleigh News and Observer because of their editorial policies. Both of my daughters no longer subscribe. They are starting to feel the pinch, and some weeks they are calling everyday for us to resubscribe.
Thank GOD the government has not taken complete control of our businesses and industry, and we still have some degree of Capitalism working in our society.
On 1/14/2014 8:59 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Really, I have two choices.. Century Link DSL And Service Electric Cable, which is only one way, so I still need a dial up for Century Link...
I had that cable one way once, it was awful, down half the time. When someone is in the boonies like I am there are really no options. It's too expensive. I'm out in farm country and it's just that way.
For people in populous areas will be offered competition, we in the outlying areas won't be, as there has been no desire by anyone to offer it now.
Why do you think it will create competition? Years ago there were so many ISP's. They for the most part have been killed off by the big guys, and their ability to provide high speed internet much easier and cheaper than other companies buying the services from them.
--
Jeff

<...snipped...>

In the late 90s early 21st century there were indeed hundreds, maybe thousandso fo small, independent ISPs. Many of these were even offering DSL using the major telecoms lines. The majors did not like this and Verizon, ATT, all the big players lobbied federal and state legilatures for tax breaks and other favorable laws and regulations with the promise that by 2000 or so (my recollection of the timeline may be off a few years either way) some very high percentage of the US population would have high speed internet available at their home. The small ISPs withered and went out of business or refocused their product lines, as the new laws made it unprofitable for them, but very profitable for the majors.
The promised HS internet was not delivered on schedule, many areas today still don't have it available. It took the threat posed by the TV cable industry to finally force the majors to start deploying FIOS and other next-gen HS internet solutions. Now the big telecoms charge big bucks for the HS service even though American consumers essentially paid them to build the infrastructure for it 10 years ago. The money was paid but the product was never delivered. A small investment in campaign contributions and lobbying by the telecoms has been repaid to them by orders of magnitude.

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:59:23 -0500, Keith Nuttle

Not really true. I have one choice, plus satellite (which isn't a choice).

TV is an entirely different thing.

Very little left. The government has regulated what it hasn't taxed to death.