The Impotance Of Being Earnest

Page 2 of 3

That's not a trick.. that is cumbersome. The letter O becomes the letter Ø when I hold down the option key. u ü, that kinda thing... easy.

Add pictures here
✖

That's not a trick.. that is cumbersome. The letter O becomes the letter Ø when I hold down the option key. u ü, that kinda thing... easy.
------ Ah. I get it; a Mac. Sure. I'm working at this far harder than I should have to. I can't find the smiley face on my keyboard, so here goes: (_*_) How did that come out?
Add pictures here
✖
MikeWhy wrote:

In MS Office it's just CTRL-/-O.

--John
✖

That's a smily? Looks more to a bruised forehead to me... you, the one you get by going "duhhh" too many times?
Add pictures here
✖

That's a smily? Looks more to a bruised forehead to me... you, the one you get by going "duhhh" too many times?
------ I heard it described once as a full moon smiley. How about this one? (_!_)
Add pictures here
✖

REAL computers don't have option keys. ;-)
Actually, this wouldn't be a bad thing to (once again) have Microsoft steal from Apple. The problem is Unicode is so completely uselessly complex there'd be no guarantee you'd get the right symbol or alternate language character. :-(
Puckdropper

✖
On Oct 2, 5:32 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

They do too!
Add pictures here
✖
Robatoy wrote:

in
They _did_ but they were called "sense lights/switches"...

✖

I easily found charts for ASCII characters and various HTML charts but none of them seemed to work as EXT was describing. It occured to me to make my own chart by starting at Alt-1 and going from there but not only would the vast majority of characters be of no interest to me, it looked like a long and tedious project as well. Ironic considering the point under discussion in this thread, I suppose....
Add pictures here
✖

As I wrote in a reply above, you need to search for ALT ASCII characters, some characters are different to regular ASCII.
Add pictures here
✖
EXT wrote:

Aha, so here is a good one, though as the author points out it isn't complete. Thanks for the tip.
http://www.questgems.com/alt_codes.htm
Add pictures here
✖

Make sure you use the numeric keypad. Plus sometimes the number requires a 0 in front of it. Alt+0220
If you've got a laptop, there's usually one somewhere on the keyboard that you can activate with function keys or a numlock button.
Puckdropper

✖

Windows has included a program that tells you not only how to access the special characters, but which each character code displays in different fonts. It's called Character Map.
You might have to install it, it's under Add or Remove Programs > Windows Components (the location changes from version to version, but check Accessories at this point.)
A word of warning: Fonts vary, so there's no guarantee that the copyright symbol in one font will be the copyright symbol in another.
Puckdropper

✖
On 02 Oct 2008 12:13:29 GMT, Puckdropper

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/charmap.html
Add pictures here
✖
Puckdropper wrote:

If you're running Office, much of this is automated by Autocorrect and Autoformat. OpenOffice has a similar feature.
--John
✖
This may or may not help.
http://ascii-table.com/html-table.php
here are others available from here too.
P D Q

Add pictures here
✖

Try the following:
http://www.mistywindow.com/reference/ascii-alt-codes.htm
or do a search for Alt ASCII characters.
Add pictures here
✖

look into a program called charmap - it comes with windows. XP has it in the accessories-> system tools folder
shelly
Add pictures here
✖

I did some software development as a consultant a few years ago - and was both the oldest (in age) and newest (to the group). I found that the younger members of the team were often more interested in what might give job security than in what might be best for the client.
I had many suggestions for better ways of doing things, but was usually ignored by the "let's get it done faster" mentality (I'm not using proper quotes because not all news readers reproduce them correctly). I was able to leave a "paper trail" by putting my comments in the code and seeing more than half of those suggestions implemented in later revisions - but at added cost to the client.
I was "too expensive" (by the hour, although I produced more than twice as much *working* code in the same time as any of the others), so my contract was not renewed (the team leader was trying to keep a full-time member of the group - who wasn't all that productive - employed). Two years later, they both had left the company while under investigation for questionable use of client funds. I can only wonder if the client went elsewhere or if that company found competent people to replace the ones that left...
The funds involved were our tax dollars, as the client was the US Government - twice the reason to be angry...
John
Add pictures here
✖

You're right, Lew. I was venting.
I actually think this is going to be an interesting project.
The metal guys are so used to just seeing just parts level stuff that my first thing is going to be insisting on a full set of drawings being made available to the wood shop. By which I mean something that includes assembly drawings. I believe that a mechanic feels better when he sees where he is going and how what he is making fits into the whole project.
An interesting problem is that the detailers are metal detailers and don't think like wood guys.
I had a drawing today of louvers that were drawn plan view with the louvers in situ - parts drawings for millwork have to be done on the flat. We don't really give a damn about orientation at the drawing level.
I reckon we'll sort this out.
t.
Add pictures here
✖