Benefits of being a DIY landlord

Evenin' folks,

Just thought I'd share this litttle story from last week, which was most definitely the only time I was glad it wasn't summer.

Got a call from some tenants that water and *bits of paper* were escaping the manhole cover in their back yard and it had been happening for a few days. We dropped off the drain rods and left them to it, only to get a call a couple of days later that the problem was still there and now it was coming out of the drain next to the back door.

'K. Mrs Witchy gets down there and it turns out they'd just been shoving a rod down said drain. When asked why they hadn't lifted the manhole cover they said 'oh, you mean the mat?' Right.

Lift manhole to discover it was full of shit, baby wipes, 'lady products' and %deity% knows what else, so the Mrs is straight in with a spade to get the stuff out so she can have a go at rodding. No go so she gets the pro's out the next day. I get a call at lunchtime basically asking for help to find a missing manhole in the dense bushes at the bottom of the garden, so I'm down there trudging in other people's waste. Lovely.

2nd manhole discovered and blockage found, mr drainman does his best and buggers off leaving me to clear up the mess. "Stick it all on the garden" he advises.

I don't think so - we don't know what these people eat! After a quick food break (hot dogs :) the next few hours was spent shovelling all the crap back down the manhole and rinsing it away wi' hose and further rodding.

The most disturbing part for me was that once I'd got used to the smell it was actually quite enjoyable work......

Suffice to say we steered clear of curries all weekend :D

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

"Witchy" wrote | so the Mrs is straight in with a spade to get the stuff out so | she can have a go at rodding.

You've got a good one there!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Instant Satisfaction ?

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Yup :) She'd have succeeded too if we'd been able to see the pipe inlets at the bottom of the hole - I guessed that the drains would naturally go to the main road at the front rather than right down the garden at the back! Doh!

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy