The Four-Fold Noble Truths Of WoodDorking

Page 2 of 2
I can't beat the reply post from Prometheus (the 8 fold path and all that). However, I have some of my own Laws of Woodworking....
1. If you save you money to buy an expensive tool, as soon as you buy the tool you'll need that money for an unexpected car repair. 2. "Measure twice, cut once" only applies to the test piece. It also only applies if you're using Starrett. Otherwise, measure many more times, always use the same edge on the same rule, etc. In fact, just go buy Starrett. 3. As soon as you design and build a piece, Fine Woodworking will publish an article that show you how and it'll be better, too. 4. When you buy the best of what is available, a new model will be introduced that's even better. 7. As soon as the carcass is finishes, you'll have pangs of remorse for not building it slightly different. 8. When you have a SWMBO, every tool costs double. The price you pay the retailer and the commeasuaret gift you buy the SWMBO. 9. You will always be one clamp short. 10. The more enjoyable the furniture project, the more urgent house repairs pop up. 11. If you want to give a piece as a gift on such-and-such date, your employer will ask you to make a business trip 3 days prior. 12. Your shop will never be nice enough and folks on rec.woodworking will post pictures of theirs that make you feel inferior. That's when you seek "retail therapy" by going out to buy a new sexy tool to make you feel better. After which you recall NEM's Laws of Woodworking #1 ans #8.
JM2C - Never Enough Money

I can't disagree with any of your points. However, I have found that the trick here is to buy the new toy, I mean tool, to make a present for SHMBU. Kill two stones with one bird<g>

Finally. Someone mentions clamps.
Well done.
;-)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote in message

Don't forget the woodworkers' motto: "Cut to shape - Pound to fit!"
FoggyTown
Never Enough Money wrote:

Some wise words indeed brother NEM.

Especially this one. It's so painful too. New table saw = new stupid, useless piece of shiny metal with some rocks stuck in it. No moving parts, no plug, no blades or bearing surfaces. How useless.

But how do I stain mahogony so it looks like MDF?
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:39:17 GMT, "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" <"Charles

BIN, then Latex! <G>
Barry
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:39:17 GMT, "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" <"Charles
BTDT.
I was trying to fake Cotswold stonework. This involved some fine carving of gothic tracery, and timber that wasn't admittedly much to look at, but was capable of taking detailed carving work.
Then I applied a carefully prepared fake-stone textured spackle, and a couple of hand-painted watercolour washes to get the exact hue of the stone. Took it to Bath Abbey, placed it on the original stone and it practically disappeared. Perfection !
Went back to the workshop. Sat it next to the 5 minute prototype I'd banged out from MDF and a router bit. From six feet I couldn't tell them apart.
calmly ranted:

OK, Tawm. You win the Blob Villa Clone Award for today. Pick it up at Searz on your way home from your psychiatrist.
--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."