The Four-Fold Noble Truths Of WoodDorking

  1. If you use the right blade and set your saw up the right way, you don't need a jointer to create glue-line joints.

  1. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

  2. Sanding looks as good as planing, if it's done properly.

  1. Poly holds up better than anything else in exterior applications.

Reply to
Tom Watson

Hmm.... basically good sentiments, but it might be better following the form you named it after- try this:

There is WoodDorking. WoodDorking should be understood. WoodDorking has been understood.

There is the origin of WoodDorking. WoodDorking is caused by the desire to make sawdust. Sawdust should be produced. Sawdust has been produced. (*note- neanders should substitute "shavings" for sawdust :P)

There are tools which create sawdust. Tools should be purchased. Tools have been purchased.

There is the eight-fold path to WoodDorking, in the pursuit of creating sawdust. This path should be developed. This path has been developed.

The eight-fold path of WoodDorking:

Right Projects Right Planning Right Joinery Right Tooling Right Shaping Right Technique Right Preparation Right Finish

Then you've got all the room for tips and tricks you like in the sub-categories and commentary!

Reply to
Prometheus

Just as a horrified spectator, I'd like to see you stain white oak and make it look like cherry. You'd be sort of like those biologists who grew a human ear on a mouse.

Ed Clarke

Reply to
Tom Watson

I have to admit that as far as I can tell you are holding quite well to your vow of non-politicalness postings. I guess the several rambling troll-like posting like the one above is due to some sort of withdrawal symptoms. Kinda like methadone?

Good luck, only a few days left.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Actually it was a summary of several recent thread topics.

Of course, they were on woodworking, so you might have missed them.

Reply to
Tom Watson

Gotta disagree pretty strongly. I would say that all whitewoods can be stained to look like the cherry you get at your local furniture store, probably because said furniture is whitewood stained to look like cherry. The real deal, nicely oiled (I love Tried and True) and aged a bit, has a richness and beauty that isn't even touched by staining. Of course, even quite a bit of real cherry furniture is stained for consistent colour and to make it darker and that stuff as well is pretty close to universally horrid.

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

I can't beat the reply post from Prometheus (the 8 fold path and all that). However, I have some of my own Laws of Woodworking....

  1. If you save you money to buy an expensive tool, as soon as you buy the tool you'll need that money for an unexpected car repair.
  2. "Measure twice, cut once" only applies to the test piece. It also only applies if you're using Starrett. Otherwise, measure many more times, always use the same edge on the same rule, etc. In fact, just go buy Starrett.
  3. As soon as you design and build a piece, Fine Woodworking will publish an article that show you how and it'll be better, too.
  4. When you buy the best of what is available, a new model will be introduced that's even better.
  5. As soon as the carcass is finishes, you'll have pangs of remorse for not building it slightly different.
  6. When you have a SWMBO, every tool costs double. The price you pay the retailer and the commeasuaret gift you buy the SWMBO.
  7. You will always be one clamp short.
  8. The more enjoyable the furniture project, the more urgent house repairs pop up.
  9. If you want to give a piece as a gift on such-and-such date, your employer will ask you to make a business trip 3 days prior.
  10. Your shop will never be nice enough and folks on rec.woodworking will post pictures of theirs that make you feel inferior. That's when you seek "retail therapy" by going out to buy a new sexy tool to make you feel better. After which you recall NEM's Laws of Woodworking #1 ans #8.

JM2C - Never Enough Money

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I can't disagree with any of your points. However, I have found that the trick here is to buy the new toy, I mean tool, to make a present for SHMBU. Kill two stones with one bird

Reply to
Al Reid

Tom Watson

But how do I stain mahogony so it looks like MDF?

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

BIN, then Latex!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:36:06 -0400, Tom Watson calmly ranted:

OK, Tawm. You win the Blob Villa Clone Award for today. Pick it up at Searz on your way home from your psychiatrist.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually I saw and read them all and I noted that your summary was the antithisis (sp?) of your apparent position with respect to each of these threads as well as the opposite of what all "good" woodworkers are supposed to believe. Therefore I must assume that you were hoping to stir up a few folks or garner a few comments or just be a little ornery (i.e. a little harmless trolling). I actually like that about you. I do assume from the inferred "tone" of your response that you thought that I was somehow chastising you, but nothing could be further from the truth. I enjoyed the original post and its (inferred) intent and I was originally doubtful as to whether you could stay out of the political threads through 11-2 as you seem to enjoy them (as I do). But, take it as you like.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

All good amateur woodworkers.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Finally. Someone mentions clamps.

Well done.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

They didn't "grow an ear on a mouse". They moulded an ear with a new cartilage-forming technique. Then they stored it on an immunosuppressed mouse whilst they grew some more skin over it.

Describing this in terms of, "Dr Frankenstein, the mice are sprouting ears !" is like claiming that you can turn white deal into cabinetry timber by slapping it with a coat of something wood-coloured.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

to get me one...

ROTFL

TWS

TWS

It's more of an economic remedy, than an aesthetic one.

It is a useful cure for those who have cherry taste and a beer budget.

Reply to
Tom Watson

Don't forget the woodworkers' motto: "Cut to shape - Pound to fit!"

FoggyTown

Reply to
Mike Girouard