The creek is drowning you guys.

Page 1 of 6
Wow Woodpeckers announced a Fibonacci gauge and not one of you mentioned it.
But all the bitching about the creekkkkkkkkkkkkk .....
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in

I saw that but I don't have a clue how it would be used. Wanting to figure out a use for it and can't. If I wanted to follow the "golden ratio" rule wouldn't it be pretty easy to multiply by 1.6, mark it and cut?
I'd be interested in knowing what use you thing it would be...
Larry
On 5/30/2012 6:16 PM, Larry wrote:

Like using a calculator to add 2+3. '~)
Nothing, I was wondering why everything was off topic and nothing on topic...
The only thing I saw on topic was how thing can a floor board be. Someone released a new tool and nothing... nada...
I just thought I bring you back to bitching about tools woodworking tools. :-)
On 5/30/2012 7:16 PM, Larry wrote:

"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

Maybe the problem is that many of us have been here for so long we have pretty much run out of our own woodworking questions and the web-based discussion sites have pulled in the bulk of the "new blood" ?? The big commercial sites, like FWW and PWW, have surely attracted people who would never find the newsgroups.... and the many ISPs that have dropped the newsgroups have limited the pool of new blood. We old school guys are going the way of the dinosaurs? Do we need to evolve? ;~) How????? Rec.Woodworking t-shirts that have instructions on setting up news readers??? ;~)
John
On May 31, 10:15am, "John Grossbohlin"

I suspect at least some of them spend more time at a keyboard that in the shop.
RonB

And look what I am doing now. See ya - heading for the shop!
RonB
RonB wrote:

Well, that's part of the point. Left to other forces, many of us might lead less-balanced lives. The expectation, for instance, that there are folks here waiting to see me finish my workbench is helpful!
From my point of view, whatever time I can get in the shop is a good thing. That includes, shimming a door, finishing my drywall, priming and painting, installing wiring and EMT and light fixtures, as well as thinking about and doing woodworking projects (albeit small ones).
It's a fair bet I wouldn't be having anywhere near so much "fun" without this group! Every new thing I learn to do earns me a unit of "fun".
This week I learned I can't cut a 2by4 with a CS and a speed square nicely, unless I clamp it down. I guess I need 2 hands on the saw or the saw wanders away, especially towards the end of the cut. I tried 3x in a row, and the board just got shorter and shorter and shorter. If anyone has a suggestion for this, I'd be interested (as the clamping approach is not as fast). Maybe if I saw everyday I'll "hulk-up" a bit.
Bill
On 5/31/2012 11:13 PM, Bill wrote:

A quality tool and blade ... one you can handle, and sharp, respectively.
Sounds like you're missing one or both?
Instead of the speed square try this:
http://www.dannylipford.com/video/circular-saw-crosscut-guide /
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 6/1/2012 12:13 AM, Bill wrote:

tiredofspam wrote:

Thank you for the encouragement! : )
I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is curious whether I really ever do any work!
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite /
Cheers, Bill
"Bill" wrote in message
tiredofspam wrote:

Thank you for the encouragement! : )
I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is curious whether I really ever do any work!
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite /
Cheers, Bill
===How many workbenches is that now? Without checking the reflections in shiny objects, I see three, so far.
-- Eric

This discussion reminds me of a friend of mine whom I see only occasionally.... I knew he was a member of my woodworking club years ago and when I saw him over the years I'd ask what he'd been working on in his shop. Several times in a row, spread over several years he responded "nothing at the moment." Then one time he admitted that the only thing he'd ever made was the shop itself... it's sort of become a tool museum! A couple years ago, after his parent's passed away, he moved into his parent's home and sold his own home. He's slowly been building a new shop... "to house your tool collection" I asked? ;~)
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I have read and found to have some basis that people tend to get what they need out of their activities, not necessarily what others or even themselves think they need. I hope that your friend was kind enough to laugh with you. Tool collecting seems like an honorable hobby to me. I appreciate the way it is intertwined with, and brings about a heightened respect for history and culture. Of course, in this case it sounds like your friend has a collection of more modern tools. Still I have never met a tool collector I didn't enjoy talking with.
Bill

Yeah... we both laughed about it. It's not that he isn't interested in making other things it's more of a time and money thing that goes with having a house, wife, job, and other responsibilities. His tools are late model and like new....
I understand your point.... I recall meeting a retired guy at a waterfall while out bicycling one time. The site had been used for target shooting for many decades and rumor had it that it was used for same back to the civil war and before. Anyhow, he had a new Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger .22 semi auto pistol. He fired one magazine from each, i.e., 10 shots from each, wiped them down and put them in their cases. To me that seemed odd.... Years later, having sons, I buy .22s by the case (5,000) and it's not usual to go through a 1,000 at a range session. ;~) Anyhow, I asked him if he was done so I could walk around the falls a bit. The discussion continued and he went on to explain that he had had a life long photography hobby but between the demands of friends and family for his photography skills it was no longer pleasurable. He sold all of his photography equipment and bought a couple .22s as that was something that could be his alone to enjoy. That encounter was memorable and I try to remember the lesson learned.
That said, sometimes people just need encouragement or guidance to help them reach a higher level that they themselves desire. For example, recently a woman I mentored for years was moved to a different department under an organizational realignment. Let's just say that my training, education and experience are at a much higher level than that of the department where she landed. After about two weeks of seeing how things worked in her new department she came back to me and said "I've never felt so smart in my whole life!" and "I understand now how far I've come." While working with me she hadn't quite gained the self confidence that she should have had and it took exposure to her new assignment for her to understand how far she'd come. She will become a star there in short order... no doubt about it. This mentoring experience turned out to be a very good experience for me too though it was challenging for both of us at times.
John

Great story ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Yes, A concise way to remember it is that "People will tend to get what they 'need' out of their activities." Interesting story.

I agree. Of course, now you are pushing them from what they 'need' into what you want. And mere exposure might sometimes substitute for encouragement and guidance. I recall my first week at my first programming job as a new graduate. I examined the work that the experienced person at the desk to my right was doing, and thought to myself "WOW!, The standards/expectations for documentation, code-clarity, etc." just went up 2-levels!", and I strived to make that level my new normal. Of course, one doesn't just automatically produce at a higher level just by striving to do so, but I think it's a good start!
Cheers, Bill
For example,

Yes, but none with a vise. There is a hollow door on old cabinets (I am eager to abandon), a 3-legged kitchen table, a $7 (auction) Work-Mate which doesn't close well but still has been very handy, and my saw horses. The new one ought to be very handy.
Thank you for observing!
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message

Yes, but none with a vise. There is a hollow door on old cabinets (I am eager to abandon), a 3-legged kitchen table, a $7 (auction) Work-Mate which doesn't close well but still has been very handy, and my saw horses. The new one ought to be very handy.
Thank you for observing!
Bill
======== Haha!
Don't blame your tools!
As long as you're having fun. Sounds like me. Organization freak! A clean workshop is the sign of a dirty mind. Wait! Well, something like that?
--
Eric

On 6/2/2012 3:25 AM, Bill wrote:

Looking good so far, Bill.
Not to be critical, but the only thing that concerns me, strictly judging from the photos, is that the legs may be too close together for the height of the table?
It appears that much downward pressure on a benchtop overhang larger than the end "aprons" may have a tendency to tip the bench.
Disregard if you have assured yourself that is not the case.
And you are going to put another "stretcher/apron" assembly toward the bottom of the legs, right?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010