Tenoning jig advice needed

Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs will work with Craftsman miter slots. I know, I know, everyone is jealous of my table saw, but it's NOT for sale. (grin) For what it's worth - It's about 3 years old and a (relatively speaking) "higher" end contractor saw (for Craftsman).

It seems to me that the Delta won't work... Is this true? Any help as to what might work well would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for advice on a good bench top mortiser. Thanks for your help! Ben

Reply to
BM Cooper

I got one of the Delta jigs, and the metal guide bar was a tad too big and snug making it a bit hard to slide in the groove of my dad's olds Craftman TS. I took the metal bar off of the jig and ground some of the width off using an old grinder that I salvaged from my dads barn / garage/ shop when we moved him back to the city years ago. That metal was HARD, but I eventually got it down enough that the jig slided just fine.

BM Co> Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs will

Reply to
Mapdude

Thu, Feb 26, 2004, 5:20am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@iwon.com (Mapdude) clearly says: slided

Slided? ROTFLMAO

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

Well, You knew what he meant, unlike many posts in this group (including some of mine). :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Wed, Feb 25, 2004, 9:57pm (EST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (BM=A0Cooper) Hi everyone. I'm trying to determine which after-market tenoning jigs will work with Craftsman miter slots. I know, I know, everyone is jealous of my table saw, but it's NOT for sale. (grin) For what it's worth - It's about 3 years old and a (relatively speaking) "higher" end contractor saw (for Craftsman). It seems to me that the Delta won't work... Is this true? Any help as to what might work well would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking for advice on a good bench top mortiser. Thanks for your help! Ben

****************************************************** I bought a Delta Tenoning Jig for use with my Ridgid TS. This saw is manufactured by Emerson and is the same as those which bear the Craftsman name. The table slot width is exactly 3/4" while the sliding bar on the Dellta jig is a bit wider. I removed the bar from the jig, took it to a local machine shop, and had it milled so that the width would provide a nice sliding fit. It only cost me a couple of dollars.

As for the bench top mortiser, I bought one made by Delta and have been happy with it.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Reply to
Sir Edgar

As far as I know, most recent (at least for the last 3 years) Craftsman saws use a standard miter slot. Certainly, my 3-yr old craftsman does. In other words, the delta jig should work fine. If you post the model#, you may be able to get more information out of this group.

And, I'm very happy with my saw. I've poked and prodded the total runout below 0.004, have upgraded to an incra fence and a rockler sliding table system, have build my own dust collection, put in a link belt and a Forrest blade, and now can slice through thick stock with no burning or bogging down. (Yes, I could've spent the same amount of money and bought a cabinet saw, but then I wouldn't have had the incra and sliding table, which I love - plus, it's easier to get the wife to allow me to spend >$1K on my saw over 3 years than it was to get her to agree to plunking down $1K up front).

-VS.

Reply to
-VS

Hey.... Slided is plural and past tense for slid. You slide the jig forward, you slided it back. That is Texas speak. I seen it done onced.

Reply to
Leon

If the slots are now the standard size, it will work. Some of the cheaper saws had (have) an odd size and not a true "T" slot. Just measure them and if they are typical 3/4 x 3/8 it will work. The guide is just plain rectangle, not a protrusion that must fit into the "T".

From the reviews I've read, there are no really bad ones. I'm happy with my Delta, the Jet was rated high also in most reviews. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ben, I took some scrap Baltic Birch plywood, bought a clamp and built mine to slide over and along my rip fence. About 2 hours of my time and $6 worth of materials.

A good mortiser, Delta makes a decent one. Remember though, like with any chisel, you need to sharpen it before use. LeeValley makes a cone shaped stone to put in your drill to remove burrs from inside the chisel and you can polish the outs side of the chisel. This will make the whole set up work much better.

Reply to
Leon

"I done slided it back."

Reply to
Swingman

Persisely

Reply to
Leon

Thu, Feb 26, 2004, 7:03am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@hal-pc.org (Lowell=A0Holmes) says: Well, You knew what he meant, unlike many posts in this group (including some of mine). :-)

Indeed yes, the meaning was clear, which is the bottom line. Just struck me as tremendously funny at the time. And, still makes me smile.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

It's very common to have to modify, move, or even replace the bar on these jigs. I have the Delta jig, and when I got it I had a Grizzly 1023. I had to move the bar over an inch or two. The slot-to-blade dimension is different between manufacturers.

I say get the jig and plan on modifying the slide bar. It won't be a big deal.

I assure you the cast iron jig beats the stain out of any wooden home made contraption. For the money I think it might be the best value tool in my shop.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Thu, Feb 26, 2004, 3:05pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) claims: Hey.... =A0 Slided is plural and past tense for slid. You slide the jig forward, you slided it back. That is Texas speak. I seen it done onced.

I take it that is addressed to me, even if you don't express that.

Aren't you the guy that came up with the past, present, and future tenses of "wrote"? Writ, rat, rotten. I did written it. I am ratting it. I will rotten it.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

J T

According to Dizzy Dean, it's "slud". j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Everyone knows it should have been "slud". I learned from an old carpenter that what one did with a ladder was you clumb it. I will climb that ladder. I clamb that ladder. I had clumb that ladder. Makes sense to me.

Bejay

Indeed yes, the meaning was clear, which is the bottom line. Just struck me as tremendously funny at the time. And, still makes me smile.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

Bob Jones

... ah yes! Redneck verb conjugation ... the 'grits and gizzard greens' soul of the language.

That said, being a good Catholic kid of about 8, with what I though was a pretty good working vocabulary at the time, and seeing the word "conjugation" for the first time, I was pretty sure it must have something to do with sex ... so I was excited as hell when Sister Mary Therese said we were going to start conjugating.

Boy, was I surprised!

Reply to
Swingman

No JAOT it was not me and yeah I was splainin it to yuh. I like that Writ at an rotten... By the way jeet?

I take it that is addressed to me, even if you don't express that.

Aren't you the guy that came up with the past, present, and future tenses of "wrote"? Writ, rat, rotten. I did written it. I am ratting it. I will rotten it.

JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

Leon

My favorites come from the Boston area... Like Norm always saying you can get a set of measured DRAWERINGS for that chest of DRAWS.

Down here in Texas and I suspect most anywhere else it is measured Drawings for the chest of Drawers.

Reply to
Leon

I tell you whut!

Reply to