Technique for using RotioZip and other spin saws

I'd like to know if, when using a spinsaw and a circle jig, would the success rate be better nibbling on multiple passes or doing the whole cut in one pass?. The stock would be 3/4 fiberboard shelving.

Fine Woodworking showed an overhead mount which, I suppose, could be adjusted.

snipped-for-privacy@athenet.net

Reply to
Lon Ponschock

Dunno just what you mean by "fiberboard".

If it's MDF, it'll be _very_ slow going. Sabre Saw with a circle jig is the preferred weapon. Plunge router, with circle jig is second choice.

If you mean "particleboard", it won't be quite as bad.

Not much benefit to be had by concentric nibbling. Now, doing some _radial_ cuts -- so you can remove the 'cut-off' stock piecemeal, *AND* stop/restart the circular cut -- That's an idea that could have some merit. a RotoZip, or similar, through 3/4" woodstock is going to be _slow_ going. I'd have concerns about overheating if the circle is anything above a *small* diameter.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi