Whirlpool Washer trips circuit breaker in spin cylce

When our 19 year old washer goes into the spin cycle with a full load it trips the panel circuit breaker. With half loads it will generally work okay. Any ideas as to the cause. I suspect a motor problem. Any other ideas?

Reply to
Mike

If the breaker is of the same vintage, it could be a weak breaker. Can you try plugging the washer into an outlet on a different circuit?

If you need to use an extension cord to do so, make sure it is a heavy duty cord (14 gauge prefereble) and as short as possible.

The other easy possibility is something else sharing the same circuit causing an overload?

Reply to
John

also make sure you plug it into a 20 amp. line.....

Reply to
jim

In alt.home.repair on 23 Aug 2003 09:42:31 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Mike) posted:

I don't even know if washers have them, but if they have a capacitor (condenser) in parallel with the motor, I'd suspect that before the motor itself. Some can mounted on the motor, maybe. I probably looked but I forget.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman