Window glazing, possibly O.T

I am building new window sash (stiles and rails) for an aunt who's house is in bad shape. Needless to say this is a "fer" her project. Her in southern IN if you do something "for" someone you expect to be paid. :-) Anyway.........the weather has deteriorated and we (family) have been meeting in my shop to convert some used-old poplar to window sash. The frames(in the house) are basically ok. We have the raw matierials made to create the stiles and rails. This is an old house and the windows may have been made on the job. No two are identical according to my tape. I would like to build and install no more than 4 windows in a given saturday. This will include a crew at my shop building the four removed windows, a crew at my aunts house, scraping and painting the frames, with fast drying paint. Here is the question: Are there alternatives to glazing compound and glazing points. We will be reusing all original glass if we don't break it. I have seen plastic stripping on all new windows, but cannot find a vendor. Lee Valley has some but don't say if it is for outdoor us or not. If I could rout an 1/8 slot in the sash and slap the glass and said rubber strips in place, then I could get back in town and help with the painting, planing, nailing ect. to get the new window to fit the 100 year old house frames. Looking to install first batch of windows this weekend. What say ye! All thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance. Lyndell

P.S. I will cross post with. alt.home.repair

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

I have received valuable help from a local glass company on window projects. I have contracted with them to remove plate glass, store it, and re-install it when I was ready. Didn't cost that much. At least they can give you advice. I would take out the glass, take the glass and the sash to the glass company and pay them to install the glass in the sash. I'm sure I stand alone in this opinion though.

I'm a woodworker (I like to think so anyway), not a glass worker. I don't do mdf either. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I put a bunch of new glass in not too long ago - it was definitely a PITA at the beginning. If you decide to glaze yourself, check this link for some tips

The biggest help was the mineral spirits tip, but getting good glazing is key as well. Just take your time with the first one, even to the point of ripping it out and starting over if necessary, and the subsequent ones go much smoother. It's a relatively steep learning curve.

However, if I was pressed for time, was really concerned about quality, and the money wasn't an issue - I'd get it done. It's definitely not near the top of my list of restoration tasks to do.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

You may want to read a couple of the other posts in that thread also - some excellent tips on what not to use and alternatives.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.