Taper jig??

I need to cut a "taper" on a piece of pine. It measures 3/4x1, about 4 ft. long. I need to cut 3/16 at the top down to 1/16 at the bottom. Hope I'm explaining this right. Would the best thing to use be a taper jig or how? I have to do more of them, about 6 or 8. Never used a taper jig, so all advice and ideas are welcome. Tia Have a safe and prosperous New Year!

Make a basic taper sled.
I don't have my instructions online any more, but here's another description I googled: <http://www.eversole.us/PictureLogs/TaperJig/taperjig.php
You really don't need the fancy hardware, just screw some stop blocks and a shop-made hold down system to the sled. To do three and four sided tapers simply carpet tape the cut off wedge and a shim, milled to the thickness of your tablesaw kerf minus the carpet tape, back to the work piece.
The same jig is easily modified for a band saw. You can also taper legs with jointers, planers, and/or hand planes and saws. I like the shop built sled best.
Aluminum taper jigs should be banned. <G> Things can get very ugly, very quickly with an aluminum jig.
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip020607wb.html
Bob S.

Jimmy wrote:

A taper sled works a lot better than a taper jig.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Jimmy wrote:
> I need to cut a "taper" on a piece of pine. It measures 3/4x1, about 4 ft. > long. I need to cut 3/16 at the top down to 1/16 at the bottom. <snip>
This is a natural for a scarfing jig, assuming you have either a router or a plane, either powered or hand.
For this job, I would stay away from a table saw for safety reasons.
Take a look at the home made scarfing jig shown in Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.
SFWIW, I have a 12:1 scarf jig made from 3/4 ply, hanging in my shed.
Lew
For this small of a taper you can use the trick normally used to fit inset doors into an out of square hole. Just tack a 1/8" shim at one end of the board on the face that meets the fence. Since the piece is 4 ft long, create a fence extension that goes far enough back from the front of the blade, adjust the cut width and push it through.
Jimmy wrote:

me, and I really like the results. Patt