Re: Hitachi's and tennis shoe designers...

Last trip to the box store I walked by a display of Hitachi power

>tools, turned and stared and soon had tears in my eyes laughing at the >at the ridiculous styling of the line. There was a thing I thought was >a ski boot that might have been a sabre saw, who knows?
[...]
Opinions?

I think they look stupid. I also wonder what corners were cut in construction or in functional specification, in order to pay some foo-foo designer to make a nail gun look like a sneaker.

I don't even buy *sneakers* that look like that. Power tools? No way.

Reply to
Doug Miller

To *not* buy them because of the way the look doesn't make any more sense than to buy them for that reason. If they get good reviews, and the price is right, I'll buy them in a heartbeat.

I think they look interesting, anyway.

Reply to
Greg Esres

That doesn't bode well for their commitment to excellence. I find myself attracted to quality tools because I learned a long time ago that you pay once, cry once. With cheap tools you cry every time you use them. If they're chasing the occasional user, they must not be building long lasting stuff any more. Pity.

At least that's the way I think....

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You know, as recently as just a couple of years ago, most of the do it yourself shows on TV had their guys using professional grade tools from companies like Dewalt. All of the sudden everywhere you looked on TV, there was one of the new Hitachi tools. I've wondered if that was because the tools were so good that the contractors quickly moved towards them or was it because some producer insisted they use them because they added visual interest?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I'm waiting for plaid!

For the mid range - add a short trimmed beard and mustache.

For the pro - add prescription safety glasses

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Neither, I think. Every show I've seen uses sponsored tools (altho w/ the plethora of cable now there are nos a zillion I've not seen, but I'd venture it's still true) ...

Reply to
dpb

You made quite a leap there, the styling has virtually nothing to do with the quality or the lack of quality of the function of the tool. It's simply a marketing tool.

Much like Makita used their blue plastic covers to help market their own line of tools.

Hitachi is going after the market that will buy more of their tools, they may or may not be long lasting, time will tell.

I've read some pretty good reviews of some of the Hitachi line, in woodworking magazines. But the financial facts are that there is a lot more money spent by folks who do more of their shopping at Home Depot than they do at Lee Valley.

John E.

Reply to
John E.

The T100 bloated into the Tundra.

Oddly enough, my current Tacoma is very, very close to a T100.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Unfortunately if you own a cordless drill you are still buying a tool with a limited lifespan much shorter that one with a cord. You'll cry again. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

Correct.. GM, Ford, and Chrysler are ill equipped to compete because Toyota does not have to pay benefits to dead employee's families and their extended families.

Reply to
Leon

Hitachi is a humongous company and has deep pockets for advertising. DeWalt is a dwarf company by comparison.

Reply to
Leon

And for that limited lifespan, you trade ease of use. I imagine most people have both and use them when the particular tool's strength is required.

todd

Reply to
todd

The cost of sponsoring DIY TV shows probably pales in comparison to the cost of sponsoring NASCAR teams.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Most likely. When you think of Hitachi, think in terms of Toyota or GM world wide. They are big into industrial equipment, electronics, very high end medical treatment facilities. etc. Perhaps not as large as Hyundai but probably one of the bigger world companies.

Reply to
Leon

Not only the designer. The molds and the molding process for these is far more complex than the standard single color stuff.

Reply to
Joe Bemier