Taper jig??

I need to cut a "taper" on a piece of pine. It measures 3/4x1, about 4 ft. long. I need to cut 3/16 at the top down to 1/16 at the bottom. Hope I'm explaining this right. Would the best thing to use be a taper jig or how? I have to do more of them, about 6 or 8. Never used a taper jig, so all advice and ideas are welcome. Tia Have a safe and prosperous New Year!

Reply to
Jimmy

Make a basic taper sled.

I don't have my instructions online any more, but here's another description I googled:

You really don't need the fancy hardware, just screw some stop blocks and a shop-made hold down system to the sled. To do three and four sided tapers simply carpet tape the cut off wedge and a shim, milled to the thickness of your tablesaw kerf minus the carpet tape, back to the work piece.

The same jig is easily modified for a band saw. You can also taper legs with jointers, planers, and/or hand planes and saws. I like the shop built sled best.

Aluminum taper jigs should be banned. Things can get very ugly, very quickly with an aluminum jig.

Reply to
B A R R Y

S.

Reply to
BobS

A taper sled works a lot better than a taper jig.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard
4 ft. > long. I need to cut 3/16 at the top down to 1/16 at the bottom.

This is a natural for a scarfing jig, assuming you have either a router or a plane, either powered or hand.

For this job, I would stay away from a table saw for safety reasons.

Take a look at the home made scarfing jig shown in Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.

SFWIW, I have a 12:1 scarf jig made from 3/4 ply, hanging in my shed.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to