Taper Jig in Fine Woodworking

Given the rash of postings on the latest issue of Fine Woodworking (July 2005) and given that my issue has not arrived like everyone else's, I went to the FWW web page and found the video on the taper jig. I'm impressed. Are you?

Looks like I have my next project.....

Reply to
Never Enough Money

looked kinda complicated to me. I made one like Norm and it works just fine.

Reply to
Mike S.

I was impressed, mainly by the clever way it lets you do 4 sided tapers without having to worry about using cutoffs and double-sided tape, or some such method.

The jig really did look simple to use, and had all the safety that I never quite feel should be there when I use my simple taper jig. I might make one, too.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I have the metal one from Delta but am limited to lengths of about 2 feet. Does Norm's have this limitation?

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Is it the same one in the Power Tools issue? If so, I had commissions for three hall tables last month and the thought of tapering 12 legs on my old $20 metal tapering jig, where doing just one gave me the heebie jeebies, was enough of an incentive to give it a try.

Don't rightly know how I got along with out it.

Reply to
Swingman

I don't have room to store a jig that big. Bandsaw and a pencil line works great.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells

NEM,

There is a smooth way of making tapered legs. I do it on a joiner with what they call a wheelie cut. Really a smooth way to do it with no jigs etc. Basically (and I will not do it justice), what you do on the leg is make a line half way up the taper. Set the joiner for half the taper depth and make a pass to the halfway point. (Repeat for each tapered side) Then turn the leg around and hold the cut side down. This will make the leg look like it is doing a wheelie. Make another pass over the joiner and you should have a great tapered leg. Since you did it on the joiner it does not require as much sanding as a table saw cut.

I know that it is hard to visualize this but it is truely the best way to taper legs. I know this sounds like a plug but my brother does project specific woodworking DVDs and on the Hepplewhite Nightstand project he shows this technique. The DVD can be found at

If you would like more details on this method please email me. I can send you some step by step photos (I think). snipped-for-privacy@woodworkersedge.com

Reply to
sahuey