Taliesin pendant lamp

I tried posting this message in abpw along with a picture of the lamp without much luck so I will try here with a website reference to the lamp.

I would love to make a version of the Frank Lloyd Wright pendant lamp from Taliesin. You can see a picture of a replica at:

anyone seen a plan for this?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Ah, that'd be because this isn't a .binaries group, so that won't (and shouldn't) work. Pictures are big, and can displace many many text-based posts, making them expire early.

I haven't. The Wright licensing folks probably aren't real keen on giving people the recipe when they can sell licensed products for so much money. Looks like there's enough to work from there, though. Our local museum has a store with this line of products in it, so you can see one in person (Milwaukee if that helps).

I like Wright's work in general, but I can't say I care for this particular light...to each their own though.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dick - We were in Wisconsin a couple of years ago and saw some of these lamps. While I am not normally into this type of artsy lighting these were truly spectacular - not only in design but in the lighting effects. Have you contacted the Taliesin preservation commission

might be completely off base but I believe they had information concerning some of Wright's lamps and other furnishings in their bookstore. They might have also had some kits of some of his more simple items (not this lamp).

This might sound nuts but..... Have you considered gathering all of the photos and information your can find and scaling individual dimensions based on the overall dimensions provided in books and web pages -- and then laying it out yourself? I am an old, board draftsman and the process of laying out a scaled design is not that daunting. The tough part comes from figuring out the assembly methods and electrical components. I am sure these lamps use lighting and electrical parts that are outdated and even hazardous by today's standards.

I had this thought when I was looking at some of them in the museum bookstore. As nice as they are, they did not look horribly complicated in their assembly. You appear to be interested in Wright's designs. If you ever get to Wisconsin, I recommend a trip to Spring Green. Wright wasn't the only radical thinker of that age and in that area - but probably the best.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Here is an art glass company that is reproducting some of his work:

RonB

Also got to wonder if the lamp was involved in the theater burning down.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I have been to the Boston Public Library and have pretty thoroughly researched Taliesin. The pendant lamp only shows up a couple of times in the books. There are better pictures on the web from companies that make a version (actually it is just one company but it is sold by several suppliers). I saw one in a lighting store in Boston a couple of years ago but I didn't think they would appreciate me hanging around making drawings. If it comes to that, I may have to do it but I hope that someone in this group may have seen a plan somewhere. As for the lighting, since a modern version is for sale, I'm sure that the issues have been dealt with if only to be able to sell them safely.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

He said he tried posting the picture in abpw, which *is* a binaries group.

That didn't work, so he posted a link here. All quite proper.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

I too have a great interest in reproducing FLW lighting for my own home. Have you considered printing out the page you gave a link to, then using a xerox machine to blow the image up til it's reached it's stated dimensions? I realize the result will be pretty fuzzy, but you should be able to measure an at least get a plan that will be properly proportioned visually. BTW, I had not seen that particular lamp, thanks for the link. Another challenge will be to find small lamps and sockets at a low enough price to make it worth building, or affordable. Lowest I've found is about $5 each, socket with bulb, and the design I planned out has at least 36 lamps. If you find cheaper bulbs or sockets, please post it here.

Reply to
Gary DeWitt

I saw a picture of the lamp over in ABPW...

Reply to
bridger

instead of multiple copies, make 1 copy on an acetate sheet. use the overhead projector at a school or library to display it on the wall to your desired size. tape a large sheet of paper (i use endrolls from newspaper plant) to the wall and just trace or measure it.

regards, charlie cave creek, az (about 10 miles from where this lamp resides)

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I have looked at multiple pictures and there are lots of details that are hard to make out. As for the cost of the lights, these lamps sell for $4000 so that isn't as big an issue as the plan. I have only seen one "plan" which is very hard to make out. I will post it on apbw.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder