Talc as Rust Protection

Page 2 of 8
(John Barry) wrote:

The "scam" part is the conviction that human activities cause it, and must be altered or limited in order to contain it.
Supposedly, global warming is due to the increased use of fossil fuels -- but the majority of the temperature rise in the last century occurred *before* 1940. Surely, if human use of fossil fuels causes global warming, the effect should be much greater during periods of much greater fossil fuel consumption.
Over geologic time, the earth has normally been quite a bit warmer than it is now; we're actually still in the last Ice Age, according to a friend of mine who has an MS in geology.
Solar output is not constant, either, and there's some evidence that it's been increasing for a while.
Another part of the scam is the alarmist conviction that warming is a Bad Thing. The principal effect predicted, and observed so far, is an increase in *nighttime* temperatures; that is, overnight lows are higher than they used to be, but daytime highs haven't changed much. The principal effect of *that* is to extend the growing season in the temperate regions of the world. It's not at all clear to me how that can be a Bad Thing.
The alarmists also warn that sea level will rise dramatically as the polar ice caps melt. Well, maybe it will, and maybe it won't. The ice caps are of three types. The entire Arctic ice cap, and portions of the Antarctic cap, float on the surface of the ocean. Melting this ice will have *zero* effect on sea level, because the ice, once melted, will occupy the same volume as the water which it now displaces. Part of the Antarctic ice cap rests on the Antarctic continent, above sea level. Clearly, melting this ice will raise sea level, because there will simply be more water in the ocean. But part of the Antarctic ice cap also rests on the Antarctic continental shelf, *below* sea level. Melting *this* ice will *lower* sea level, because once melted it will occupy *less* volume than the water it now displaces (because it's entirely submerged, not floating). So the net effect on sea level depends on the relative sizes of the latter two regions of the Antarctic ice cap, *and* the degree to which each melts relative to the other. I believe that these factors are as yet unknown.
Doug Miller wrote:

Personally I find this chart to be absolutely chilling, no pun intended:
<http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Precautionary_Planning/New_Data/
Note that the present is on the right. Note how the pattern is different from the previous interglacials. Note that the most recent peak occurred about 10,000 years ago.
So if "global warming" is caused by humans, look what human activity is _preventing_.

--
--John
snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com (John Barry) writes:

while in the last 100 years the global average temperature (where we have measured it) has increased by less than a degree, attributing that increase to human activity is a stretch and while there are scientists who believe in anthropogenic causes, there are an equal number for whom the cause has not yet been coorelated with effect.
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

One must also not forget that water vapor makes up greater than 90% of all greenhouse gasses. Doubling of CO2 would only amount in a small fractional change in earths total "greehouse" gasses.
-Bruce
ranted:

I didn't see Scott's post until now, but disagree. I've seen a dozen scientists swear the earth is warming due to our pollution and a dozen other scientists swear that the total change in world temp is less than one degree centigrade since the beginning of our keeping precise records. I'm not convinced that there is a problem and believe it's a natural range we're seeing, not a hurried rate.
That said, has anyone else seen "The Day After Tomorrow" yet? What a hoot. Despite the Global Warming issue which drives it, it's a fun romp with some interesting action. I give it 2 thumbs up for a mostly brainless couple hours of fun.
--

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has
become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by
novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com wrote:

us that there was another Ice Age on the way?
It would be interesting to see if any of the Chicken Littles who run around squawking "the earth is warmling, the earth is warming" were part of the other herd thirty years ago...
Oil reserves were to be depleted by the turn of the century or earlier, too. Cold indeed.

For as long as we've been extracting petroleum from the ground, we've always had a known supply of about 30-50 years' worth. When there's that much available, there's not much incentive to go looking for more. When supplies shrink, or prices rise, then the incentive appears.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

It is not only supply and demand that keep exploration incentive's going. Income tax rules and tax incentives, such as write-offs for IDC's (intangible drilling costs), and even personal income tax brackets, have always played a major role in O&G exploration, particularly on the domestic front.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

"George" wrote in message ...

You betcher bippy! Exploration dollars dried up like prunes back in the early 80's when the upper tax brackets were demolished under Reagan. There is now a move underfoot to do away completely with IDC deductions that is typically shortsighted in that the proponents don't understand the exploration business, and don't quite grasp the economic meaning of the phrase "dry hole".
What sounds wonderful to the tax payer's ear won't put gas in the tank of his SUV.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Prolly, 'cause the ultra-right Christian republican has been taught that all you got to do is drill a hole in the ground to find oil. The almighty has provided all the oil mankind could ever use, according to that crowd and there ain't no such thing as a dry hole. Some of these idiots get elected.
Mike

What possible connection is there between oil exploration, and religious beliefs?

I don't suppose you can provide, you know, an actual cite showing the person you're alleging said that, actually you know, saying that?
In other words, when you talk out your ass like this, people are going to call you on it. This is one of those times.

responded. Now that I see it, well, that explains a lot.

There was an article in Time magazine about 20-some years ago on this, but I won't be able to dig up this reference. They named a couple of elected officials who were speaking out against various oil programs that the Feds were cooking up. One was in the House of Reps IIRC (maybe the senate). They also identified one of the religious ministers who was preaching this.
The "theory" is based on a mix of creationism and references to scripture that supposedly guarantee an unlimited supply. These beliefs are still around.
Mike

Right, so because some unnamed elected official and some preacher said it, they speak for everyone you disagree with. Gotcha.

There are people who believe the world is flat as well, so what's your point?

Uhh, no they did identify these fellows.

Say what?
Davey. boy - I posted that as a joke! You do know what a joke is, don't you? No? Ok, next time you're at the mall, pull your head outa yer ass long enough to buy a sense of humor.
Cheers,
Mike

And yet, you do not, and your "cite" is a vague recollection of an unnamed article talking about unnamed folks.

See, it's so hard to tell when someone is just _acting_ like a clueless liberal, and when someone is _being_ same.

although it's _obvious_ when someone is a self righteous "conservative"