Talc as Rust Protection

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:51:24 -0600, BruceR calmly ranted:

I didn't see Scott's post until now, but disagree. I've seen a dozen scientists swear the earth is warming due to our pollution and a dozen other scientists swear that the total change in world temp is less than one degree centigrade since the beginning of our keeping precise records. I'm not convinced that there is a problem and believe it's a natural range we're seeing, not a hurried rate.

That said, has anyone else seen "The Day After Tomorrow" yet? What a hoot. Despite the Global Warming issue which drives it, it's a fun romp with some interesting action. I give it 2 thumbs up for a mostly brainless couple hours of fun.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

DIYGUY

Anybody else remember that in the 1970s, the alarmists were trying to convince us that there was another Ice Age on the way?

It would be interesting to see if any of the Chicken Littles who run around squawking "the earth is warmling, the earth is warming" were part of the other herd thirty years ago...

Doug Miller

Nice try, but the chemical composition of asbestos resembles that of quartz only to a very remote degree, and it is in no way "a subset of quartz". Fact is, asbestos is much more similar, chemically, to talc than to quartz.

Doug Miller

A few years ago a spoof study was released stating that dihydrogen oxide, a primary constituent in certain types of foam, such as that used in the foam take-home food containers at restaurants, might be responsible for certain types of cancer. As you can imagine, the media ran with the story, creating a minor furor. A few environmental organizations even asked Congress to look into the matter.

Max

Reply to
Maxprop

LOL!

A local talk show host had someone in from the city water bureau and hit him with the rumors of dihydrogen monoxide being detected in our local water supply. The rumor was emphatically denied!

Reply to
alexy

Oil reserves were to be depleted by the turn of the century or earlier, too. Cold indeed.

Reply to
George

For as long as we've been extracting petroleum from the ground, we've always had a known supply of about 30-50 years' worth. When there's that much available, there's not much incentive to go looking for more. When supplies shrink, or prices rise, then the incentive appears.

Doug Miller

I remember a parody of that sort from back when I was in high school in the early 1970's. That was back when there were pull-tabs on beer and soda cans and there was an UL about collecting them to fund dialysis. Pull-tabs are long gone, but the UL survives.

That sounds like more UL to me. I've never seen even one story, let alone one falling for the spoof, in any media.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

It is not only supply and demand that keep exploration incentive's going. Income tax rules and tax incentives, such as write-offs for IDC's (intangible drilling costs), and even personal income tax brackets, have always played a major role in O&G exploration, particularly on the domestic front.

Reply to
Swingman

Sounds like the makers of tax codes figured oil was pretty important to national survival, eh?

Ever read the "write-off" part of those "This is not a bill" statements from your doctor?

Political pressure trumps all.

Reply to
George

You betcher bippy! Exploration dollars dried up like prunes back in the early 80's when the upper tax brackets were demolished under Reagan. There is now a move underfoot to do away completely with IDC deductions that is typically shortsighted in that the proponents don't understand the exploration business, and don't quite grasp the economic meaning of the phrase "dry hole".

What sounds wonderful to the tax payer's ear won't put gas in the tank of his SUV.

Reply to
Swingman

Several years ago I was at a meeting at which it was suggested that the long-haired researchers in attendance be care to not say "Global Warming" instead they should say "Global Change."

Makes sense, especially for the ones studying plate tectonics.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

There wasn't one on Snopes, either. But at

there is a story about a Jr. High student who won a science fair with a project of testing students for their gullibility to this story. That page also includes one version of a report on the dangers of DHMO. An update included this item:

:Update: In March 2004 the California municipality of Aliso Viejo :(a suburb in Orange County) came within a cat's whisker of falling for :this hoax after a paralegal there convinced city officials of the :danger posed by this chemical. The leg-pull got so far as a vote :having been scheduled for the City Council on a proposed law that :would have banned the use of foam containers at city-sponsored events :because (among other things) they were made with DHMO, a substance :that could "threaten human health and safety."

Reply to
alexy

Prolly, 'cause the ultra-right Christian republican has been taught that all you got to do is drill a hole in the ground to find oil. The almighty has provided all the oil mankind could ever use, according to that crowd and there ain't no such thing as a dry hole. Some of these idiots get elected.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Huh?

What possible connection is there between oil exploration, and religious beliefs?

Doug Miller

I don't suppose you can provide, you know, an actual cite showing the person you're alleging said that, actually you know, saying that?

In other words, when you talk out your ass like this, people are going to call you on it. This is one of those times.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Consider the source, Dave -- I didn't check to see who it was before I responded. Now that I see it, well, that explains a lot.

Doug Miller

Penn and Teller did this on their Showtime show (Bull***t). They got people to sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide and had several "spokespersons" for various enviro orgs endorsing their efforts. Would have been funny, if it wasn't so tragic.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

For some nostalgia, go to China; all the pop cans use pull tabs.

Ken Muldrew