Talc as Rust Protection

There was an article in Time magazine about 20-some years ago on this, but I won't be able to dig up this reference. They named a couple of elected officials who were speaking out against various oil programs that the Feds were cooking up. One was in the House of Reps IIRC (maybe the senate). They also identified one of the religious ministers who was preaching this.

The "theory" is based on a mix of creationism and references to scripture that supposedly guarantee an unlimited supply. These beliefs are still around.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Right, so because some unnamed elected official and some preacher said it, they speak for everyone you disagree with. Gotcha.

There are people who believe the world is flat as well, so what's your point?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Uhh, no they did identify these fellows.

Say what?

Davey. boy - I posted that as a joke! You do know what a joke is, don't you? No? Ok, next time you're at the mall, pull your head outa yer ass long enough to buy a sense of humor.

Cheers,

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

And yet, you do not, and your "cite" is a vague recollection of an unnamed article talking about unnamed folks.

See, it's so hard to tell when someone is just _acting_ like a clueless liberal, and when someone is _being_ same.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
George

although it's _obvious_ when someone is a self righteous "conservative"

Reply to
bridger

bridger remarks:

Without a sense of humor, too. I'd miss his posts if you guys didn't quote him. But I wouldn't miss them a whole lot.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

Unisaw A100 did say:

I think you've got several here on the rec!

Reply to
WoodMangler

Besides P.J. O'Rourke, can anyone name a right winger _with_ a sense of hoomer still intact?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

UA100 asks:

Buckley. I always believed he felt the whole thing was a joke anyway...not the conservative bit, but everything.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

Colin Quinn (albeit his politics can be hard to figure out sometimes).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Guys, there two basically different kinds of scientific findings. One kind looks at the past and draws conclusions. Workers in certain industries died younger and in larger numbers than others. For example, asbestos (or other) particles were found on the microscope in the center of their malignant lesions. Cause and effect? Remains to be proven, but looks suspicious. (In some cases proven beyond a doubt.)

Trends (look pretty certain but not proven) seem to be associated with certain effects ( greenhouse gasses, ozone etc.) (Skin cancer, global warming, etc.) No intelligent person ignores the finding of science. If you want to do that, let's quit spending all the money we spend to keep these scientist busy. When evaluating their findings and predictions, you have to remember that 1. Scientists can have non-scientific, political agendas and 2. Others with even greater political agendas can use the results of science to bolster their position.

Use your intellect to determine whether the findings support the recommendations. Predictions of depletion of oil reserves were based on what was known at the time (more or less). We discovered more oil, we conserved. Is there an infinite amount of oil on the planet? Will some finite additional amount be discovered? Will the canny human animal find substitutes "just in time" to move foreword with civilization and a comfortable existence without undue deprivation due to that expiration of the petroleum supply? I'd bet on it!! Oil reserves cannot be infinite by my limited perspective but I'm not on the doomsday bandwagon. Mankind has been pretty clever in the past.

bob g.

George wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Get a grip. You're suggesting that Bush and Republicans think the supply of oil is infinite due to some weird religious bent and that they abjure conservation because it's unnecessary?

bob g.

And, d> >

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Me!

rhg

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

On 22 Oct 2004 00:07:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

I'm sure you're right, and I love ironic humor, too.

----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How can there be an infinite amount of anything on a finite planet? Well, besides stupidity.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

No, but _some_ republicans do and some believe there's unlimited oil for other reasons (like T. Gold's claims). Others don't care about how much oil there is as long as there's enough for their own lifetime (like the head of Exxon). Others are only interested in money now and to hell with the future, good, bad or otherwise. Greedy folks can find lots of justifications for ignoring reality in the short run.

BTW - although the existance of such beliefs is real, I posted that as a joke, which seems to have gone right over the heads of the right wingers. They really gotta loosen up. Talk about getting a grip.

Why?

Ever since I changed email addresses and stopped using a real or parsable addy on Usenet, the spam has _stopped_. I don't want it back. If you desparately want to email me, combine my full name and send it to magma point ca.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I use turps and candle wax mix. On my table saw and band saw. Haven't had any rust yet. My work shop is just a roof and three sides, at times it gets a bit damp in there.

Reply to
Ray

So, you'll accept "trends" and "suspicions" as science?

How about trendy conclusions from suspicious people?

I'd reevaluate, if I were you. Science is an investigative process which does not assert, but assumes a fact until proven otherwise. The rest is pap for the intellectually undeveloped.

Reply to
George

I have a videoclip in which Senator John McCain accuses Karl Rove of dynamiting the Old Man in the Mountain in New Hampshire to revenge Bush's loss in the year 2000 primary.

I'm sure that spokesmen for environmental organizations enjoy a good joke as much as anyone else. Penn and Teller are famous.

They are also stage magicians, entertainers. Stage Magicians often use shills. Nothing wrong with that, but it should not be confused with reality.

So though I remain amused, I also remain unconvinced.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt