Talc as Rust Protection

It all depends on how you look at it. I personally have never been involved in drilling a "dry hole" ... they were all "geological successes, but a hydrocarbon failures".

Reply to
Swingman

But he was a Republican, don't you see what that means, Andy?

Dave "Oh wait, Mike wazzizname was just _joking_" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If you're talking about Fred Hoyle the astronomer, he was hardly a "loon". And it is a reasonable question--where did the helium come from and why is it in those deposits and no others?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Alpha particle, produced by radioactive decay, electrified. Any where but under a lot of cover, gone to space.

Reply to
George

I think you missed my point entirely.

The show is a show, it doesn't have to be about magic to take advantage of traditional magic methods. Uri Gellar's shows were not about magic either, that didn't stop him from using traditional magic methods either. I tend to think that Penn and Teller probably are more honest than Gellar but they are still in it for the money.

Supposing Penn or Teller stops you in the street and asks you to sign a petition to stop dihydrogen oxide. If you 'get it' you probably also realize that you won't get on TV unless you play along.

Faith healers work the same way.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Fred notes:

You're probably right, but one question: why would you want to get on TV, particularly portraying yourself as an idjit?

Two questions. Sorry.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

And thomas gold.

For a discussion of various things petroleum, with citations:

U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Dunno. Ask all the people who signed release forms allowing themselves to be featured on COPS.

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan notes:

What's COPS? I haven't watched much more than parts of a ball game and the news, and occasionally Jeopardy, for nearly 20 years.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

The original reality show, dating to the late 80's. A camera crew rides with officers in different cities, on various busts, rescues, and aid calls.

Nearly every episode features some sweating, shirtless drunk sitting in his vinyl recliner, which is of course located in a trailer, trying to make sense of the situation. The show's popularity gave birth to the Comedy Central spoof "Reno 911".

I personally enjoy Reno 911.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

And it's relevant to the original point because these people have to give permission to show their arrest/shame/other humiliation on TV.

"Sir, we have shots of you running out of your trailer with no pants on, including prominent views of your hair butt crack, right before the cops whacked you in the head with the billy club and washed the vomit off your belly with a fire hose before shoving you in the car. Would you please sign this release so we can feature it on national TV? Thanks."

"Excuse me sir, do you realize your balls are hanging out?"

It has its moments, but I don't usually watch it. It's a bit too stupid. (Of course, I'm not a TV watcher.)

Reply to
Silvan

It's about as stupid as stupid can be, which is why it works when I'm in the mood for truly mindless entertainment.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Barry responds:

I always believed the argument against the inanity of TV was specious. We all need some inanity from time to time. Drivel often makes reality easier to bear.

What I can't stand for more than 30-40 minutes at a time is advertising. The marketing mind that presents itself on TV is a truly marvelous thing. One marvels that the parents didn't strangle the infant at birth.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'm Kinda sorry I started this.

Reply to
RonB

I feel the same way about used car salesmen, and, well, anybody in any flavor of the sales trade.

Reply to
Silvan

Now up to 15 + minutes in some 30 minute time slots.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman responds:

In the mists of memory, the feds had at one time limited advertising, or the networks did so voluntarily to keep from having the feds do it, to about 7 minutes per 30. Doubling that had to help profits, but also drove audiences away, IMO.

As I recall, this was one of the more benign influences of cable.

Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

You forgot the part about "here's $20 so you can buy some more booze".

Reply to
David Hall

Time is _much_ cheaper on cable stations. Nobody is gouging, in spite of conspiracy theories. Most agencies will also allow targeting advertising across channels with similar demographic for a modest extra fee.

FCC licenses over-the-air and rules apply.

Reply to
George

Guessing that reality TV comes under some news or documentary umbrella which would not require releases.

However the "innocent" are still protected by munging the faces.

Reply to
George