Table Saw Rust

Page 2 of 2
I have just started using the TopSaver System. I started with two of my planes and will then treat the TS top and drill press table. Hoyt
BeeFarmer wrote:

TopSaver won the Wood magazine comparison for the best all-in-one remover/preventative product.
But, by far, the best performance was the Boeshield Rust Free (remover) and Boeshield T-9 (preventative). That T-9 beat the living crap out of every other product in the test.
IIRC, the total price for the Boeshield combo was even cheaper per ounce than the TopSaver kit.
I already have the WD40 and paste wax so I will go that route and see how it works here in the rainy Seattle area first. But, if it ends up a constant struggle, it's time for Boeshield.
codepath

smooth
Sweet Sawdust responds:

That first line had me going.
I'm waiting until it warms up a tad to spread a couple coats of shellac on my cast iron tables. It's here, I've got plenty of rags, but it is also about 13 degrees F. which ain't the best set-up for finishing.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
the shellac I use is rated to zero degrees, Charlie. Zinnser.
dave
Charlie Self wrote:

Don't have any shellac so I used some Minwax Oil finish (oil and varnish) on my table top. Some seeped into the steel. Be interesting tio see how long it will work.

I use Johnson's paste wax that I modify a bit by adding about 1/3 carnauba flakes in to raise the carnauba level. Makes for a harder wax finish and a better product for my cast iron surfaces. You can buy 1pound bags of flaked carnauba from Highland Hardware
John
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:29:53 -0600, "Sweet Sawdust"

I use bees wax.....works well. It is also great for wooden utensils and waterproofing boots. dave

figure
One of the magazines just ran a comparo of rust removers and preventatives. The clear winner--and it was way out in front--is the Boeshield pair of T-9 remover and their rust preventative. I use them both and can vouch for them. The usual disclaimer--no connection, etc.
Bob

figure
Bob Schmall wrote:

It's the latest issue of WOOD.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

I tried the Boeshield but didn't care for it much. It wasn't slippery at all. I just use TopCote now. Haven't had any rust problems so far and it is nice and slick. Easy and quick to apply too so I do it more often. Maybe that helps too.

preventatives.
T-9
them.
BeeFarmer--according to an article describing the testing of various products to remove rust and protect cast iron against rust in Wood Magazine's recent issue, the best rust preventer was "Boeshield T-9" and for cleaning the rust off first, they recommended "Boeshield Rust-Free" and "Empire TopSaver". Link to Boeshield below. Good luck
Michael S.
http://www.boeshield.com /

figure
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:33:17 -0500, "BeeFarmer"

You don't use beeswax on your tablessaw? I would, only that what I've seen is a bit pricey. I use Johnsons Paste wax instead. If you want moisture moving away from your saw, place a "piano keeper" in the cabinet. This is a low-wattage heater used inside pianos to keep moisture out of them.
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:33:17 -0500, "BeeFarmer"

I've gone to using dewaxed shellac on my cast iron and it works great.
Tom Watson wrote:

I find living in an area near devoid of hoomidity works awful good. On the other hand, I'm sitting here with my balls frozen together.
UA100

a little wax might help that ; ^ )
Unisaw A100 wrote:

A Men! Thats one of the great things about NM compared to PA ( or WS ? ) :-) We do have to water the flower beds in the summer and even ocaisonally in the winter, but NO rust and lumber stored outside has a moisture content of about nothing. :-) it picks up moisture when you bring it inside from your breath. :-) ...lew...

figure
Hi, Had an uncle that did that, favorite candy as a kid was chewing on the the part of the comb that he cut off before he put the frames in the extractor, grew up thinking all candy was supposed to have bee parts in it. :-Q Being cheap, I keep a plastic bottle half full of paint thinner(mineral spirits) in which I've dissolved a chunk of parrifin, squirt some on a rag and wipe the table down, let dry and buff lightly, if you're not going to use it for awhile just apply a heavy coat and let dry, don't buff till you're ready to use it. works for me.
-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry