Table Router Problem

I have installed a Dewalt 625 router on a JessEm Router Lifter. When I fully raise the router and crank the lifter to its maximum height the collet nut is 3/4" below the top of the table. When I check the length of the shafts on my router bits the 1/4" bits are 1" long and the 1/2" bits are 1 1/2" long. This means that if I want to use the full bit I can only put 1/4" of the shaft into the collet for the 1/4" bits and Can put 3/4" of the shaft into the collet for the 1/2" bits. This does not seem very safe to me especially for the 1/4" bits. Is anyone using these 2 together and having a problem? I feel quite sure that I have installed them properly. Is this a limitation of the router lifter that they have not addressed? Thanks for any and all help.
>I have installed a Dewalt 625 router on a JessEm Router Lifter. When I

Good thinking, as you want as much shaft in the collet as possible. Had the same prob when I set up my 625. Cured it with a Jacobs "Power Collet", (around $70, IIRC) which extended the collets reach. You won't need the plunge rod extentions that are supplied with the collet, if it stays in the table. And you don't need tools to install/remove a bit. Tom Work at your leisure!
Next question! Where do I get a Jacobs Power Collet? It seems they have been discontinued. Looked on EBay, nothing there. Anyone have one they are not using?
MLCS router bit co. at http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/routcollet.html
Hope this helps:
Bob