Survey: Internet Connection

Page 3 of 5

I had the opportunity to go fix a 101 in Spanish Town Jamaica (typebar emitter dirty). I think that and a keypunch was the whole data processing department in 1967. I was on my way to Gitmo to fix three 056s and an 047 when the Jamaica branch manager grabbed me.
Greg wrote:

Was ADP above Servmart then, down by the piers? Joe ADP GTMO Sept 73-75
<sniperoo>

Early 60's, programmer nick-named "Smoky". Changed program by pulling *one* end of wire(yep, "hot" end was still plugged in), closed panel, it started smoking. He turned it off, left room, announced "It's Broke" and returned to his cell.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
Larry Blanchard apparently said,on my timestamp of 1/02/2005 5:50 AM:

Hehehe! Carrier pigeons anyone?

Ah yes. My pet hate was the Hollerith punching machine: the crap computer dept at uni couldn't afford electric ones, so students had to punch Fortran programs with the manual puncher, one column-at-a-time... ARRRGHH!
Shall I mention the demented coronel who wanted us to destroy the confetti for security reasons?

Oh yes we would! :)
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto

Are you referring to RFC1149-compliant, or RFC 2549-compliant, pigeons?
"Jeff P." wrote in message

never
Theoretically, at least, you should design for the lowest common denominator. That means shoot for comfortable downloading of a web page, with graphics, at 56K. That generally means holding graphics to a minimum cumulative per page and offering "thumbnails" linked to the larger size graphics ... and that's OK, words can still convey information, despite what the X generation producers do on TV and the big commercial websites.
Used to be a picture was worth a thousand words, but these days a picture that moves, morphs, dances, spins and makes noise is probably worth a damn sight less.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Agreed. And make sure it works with most browsers and OS's, not just M$ and Windoze.
Oh yes, I'm on 56K and will be till the price of DSL or cable can get close to my current $9.95 a month.

"Jeff P." wrote: snip

Dial up. I considered DSL, but they have issues with too many devices on one line. Cable was considered, but I'd have to set up a router (and you know I prefer Neandering) and wire all the computers. Expensive and pricey along with the security hassles.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. I'd say the truth is "I just don't really care." :)
Comcast Cable, recently upgraded for us without asking, and for no additional charge, to 4MB download speed.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:54:59 GMT, "Jeff P."

Unrestricted DSL - leaves the CO at 8, but it's down to 6-7 megs by the time it gets to my end of the cable.
Barry
DSL $24.95 per month

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:54:59 GMT, "Jeff P."

I'm on dialup. Broadband cable is too expensive here ($84/mo) and DSL won't sync up (I guess too far from the Central Office), so I'm sticking to the $12.95 a month. I suggest making thumbnails. Use pictures no more than 150 dpi. Yes, I become impatient if I have to wait more than a minute for a page to load.

$84 A MONTH!!! Holy crap. I just got Roadrunner to give me a promotional rate of $35 a month for a year by complaining and I thought that was still too much. I guess it's all relative.

My pages should all load in less than 30 seconds. From what I've researched, however, the magic mark is 10 seconds. Now, I'm never going to get it there because I DO want to use a lot of graphics but I'm finding that if I optimize my graphics as much as possible and still retain quality that I'm getting it down to 15 to 20 seconds on a 56k dialup line. I managed to get the total size of my projects page down to under 100k from a high of almost 200k by running all my images through Adobe Imageready. I'm still working on the rest of my site but it's almost there.
--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog

Good graphics are good. Clutter and music and I hit the stop button.
Broadband has spoiled me. Years ago with a 14.4 modem I would hit a link and go get a drink of water, take a leak and come back.to see it finish. Long times were acceptable. Today, I would not wait 30 seconds.unless at least part of the page was loaded and visible.

Yeah, I remember those days.

I hit the "back" button faster than you can bat an eyelash when a site has music.
--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:06:22 -0600, "Jeff P."

It's a time-decay function. The longer it takes for the page to load the more users you will lose. 6 seconds is where it starts getting noticable and the percentage you lose doubles every few seconds after that. At 30 seconds you're probably losing a significant number of potential viewers.
There are ways around this. One of the easiest is to use a fast-loading page with no graphics that displays information in text while the main page finishes loading. Often this is the same text that is on the main page, just with no graphics, background, etc.
But the rule is: The sooner you start giving them some useful content, the more of them will stick around.
Phisherman wrote:

I'm
some
slower
of you

I'll never

DPI is meaningless when it comes to on display graphics. DPI is ONLY used when printing images. Pixel quantity is the only measurement that means anything on screen.
Cable here.
Ian

Jeff P. wrote:

Personally, I'm on cable. It's pricey, but I'll never go back.
I hope.
It's hard to beat going from taking 30 hours to 20 minutes to download something big.