Order/process of a TS rebuild...?

I got a nice cabinet saw at a HS auction last year, and now finally have the time to fix it up, and I'd like the collective wisdom of youz guyz in fashioning the sequence of how to rebuild it. It's an 80's model Craftsman-Colovos behemoth cast iron mama w/ magnum sized 12", 3 hp (if you're interested you can see a schematic by tying in its Sears number, 351.22652, at

it's also the same as one put out by Grainger-Dayton currently
.It has not been used much, but sat in humid conditions for a couple of years. No rust under the table, which was removed to help move it. Motor purrs like a kitten. The first thing I did was de-rust the top, which took a whole afternoon. Had to order some parts for the rip fence, otherwise it's intact.

The adjustments, however, are another matter altogether. I know that the table tops, at the very least, need aligning, as does the rip fence, so I thought I'd just tune up the whole thing while I'm at it. What I'd like is some advice on the order of things. Here's what I've cooked up so far:

Remove table top Level the saw on the ground (not easy on my slanted gravel shop) Check all bolts/nuts for tightness under the table Check pulley alignment and tension (the three belts are fine) Clean and lube the guts Install top: align Align rip fence rails Align arbor/blade to T-slots Align rip fence Align miter gauge Hook the thing up to the dryer outlet with a 60' extension cord--heavy duty 18 gauge wire. [plonk]

OK, how does that sequence strike you? One thing I've never had to mess with on my Ryobi BT3K TS is trunions: at what point should I inspect/align them?

Your experience or thoughts welcome, H

Reply to
hylourgos
60 feet of 18 gauge wire. [plonk]? Surely you mean 8 gauge? Tom
Reply to
tom

No 18 guage extension cord can be considered heavy duty. Doesn't the manual tell you what size wire to use? Jim

Reply to
Jim

Sorry guys, I just threw that last one in for laughs. "Plonk" signifies a lure hitting the water.

My sense of humor must be as awkward as my post...I see no one commented on the question at hand.

Sigh, H

Reply to
hylourgos

A lure hitting the water makes a "plunk" noise, most often preceded by the "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, click." sounds. The sound of some idiot hitting the bottom of your killfile trashcan makes a "plonk" sound. Please use these sounds properly so folks can better understand and enjoy them, Hy.

C'est la vie, wot?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, its just that I have some old TV antenna wire left over so I'm using that. Copper strand and it lays flat too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

hylourgos wrote: Sorry guys, I just threw that last one in for laughs. "Plonk" signifies a lure hitting the water. My sense of humor must be as awkward as my post...I see no one commented on the question at hand.

Ahh, good one! Your set-up procedures seem fine. Tom

Reply to
tom

Ah, pardon moi, monseur. Mon trollisme est malissima. Au Fran=E7ois: Psssssssssst...phluuunck.

Better? H

Reply to
hylourgos

Sacre Bleu! Non. Zere must be zee language barrier, oui?

Reply to
Larry Jaques