Suggestions for new brad nailer

Well, my old Bostitch brad nailer finally died. A faithful warrior, it shot more 18 ga brad than I ever thought i would use. It made it about 10 years without a hitch and shot on more trim than I can imagine. There is a chance I can resurrect it, but it is old enough now that many of the parts aren't available anymore. If it is a broken "o" ring or a couple of other pieces, it will be back up and running.
It died at the end of the day on a job, and I finished up with another larger finish nailer. That night, I went to HF, and those sombitches had a new 5/8" to 2" brad gun for $18. I like the HF gun well enough, but don't know much about their reliability. The gun finished up the trim and shot well. I still can't bring myself to rely on it, though. Not sure why.
I am eyeballing this one. I have a couple of other Hitachi guns, and the are great. I found this on Amazon, and it is certainly reasonable enough at $62 with free shipping.
I am not looking at the Bostitch guns at this time because they have moved the spring safety on the nose to sit in front of the driving apparatus. That means you cannot easily see where the exact nail placement will be. The Hitachi has the safety **behind** the exact point of brad placement, so you can easily see just where your brad will go. This is valuable feature for me when up on a ladder at an odd angle and I am trying to pin the corner of crown molding.
I had another trim gun that had the safety to the front and hated it. I am concerned about any of the brad guns these days as only Bostitch will tell you how many foot pounds of driving force the gun has. I need a gun that will punch through oak crown that is being shot onto oak cabinet styles with no hiccups. I also use the 2" brads for securing base molding (excellent, painter loves the tiny holes), hanging interior doors, hanging small crown, etc.
The Bostitch did all that with ease, and that is what I expect from a new one. I want driving power. In case I have to buy another gun (the HF will go to backup) I want to get one on the way if need be as I might be starting a remodel in the next couple of weeks.
Oh yeah... no Porter Cable pneumatics. When doing gun maintenance, my air gun repair guy won't touch them. He doesn't like the design on them for one reason or another, and his opinion is good enough for me.
Robert

Snip
I certainly do not use a brad nailer as much as you so my suggestion about the reliability of my "yes Craftsman" might not mean much other than it's an oilless and it still works 15 years later. Unfortunately it does have a front guard.
If you like the HF get two for $30. Still way less expensive and you have a new back up if the primary should fail.
If Festool made one I would commend it regardless of cost. ;~)

Robert, try
http://www.airnailerparts.com
Found the best price and great service for my old Bostitch framing nailer here. Don't give up too easily; it appeared initially there were no/limited parts for mine as well until finally found a cross-reference for current replacements for obsoleted parts.
On 1/30/2012 8:58 AM, dpb wrote:

Excellent resource. Thanks.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Second that. I found other places for parts but for some reason that one didn't come up.
I like my old tools, and we are used to each other. I am hoping I can get the old girl back on the job.
Thanks -
Robert

Don't forget eBay. I was able to put a brand new replacement motor in my Delta oscillating spindle sander for less than $50 from a tool seller on eBay.
Who'd a thunk it ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

It took a lot of searching before I found it the first time, too.
IIRC, it was after I had found what looked like _might_ be a suitable alternate part/trigger kit for the old framer that wasn't sure enough about that did a search on the part number itself that finally got their link.
After being a little unsure about the fact they were so apparently obscure I touched base and was pleasantly surprised by both promptness and helpfulness.
This is the outfit I mentioned a week or so ago in another thread that sent the part by USPS Priority w/ a hand-addressed envelope and signed "Thanks" as well for roughly a third less than any other place I found.
I'm sold and they'll certainly stay on my radar/short list of links based on experience to date, anyway.

I hate PC, too load and the driver is brittle and can chip. I have seen many have this happen.
My mustard gun (Bostich 18 ga) is a workhorse. It had never missed once until I dropped in on concrete right on the nose. Started misfiring. I disassembled and reassembled and hasn't missed since.
I have a Hitachi stapler. The gun is super reliable, nice in the hand and a really cool color. I would trust their brad gun for sure.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 02:40:30 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I have the hitachi [and several others] The hitachi is my go to brad nailer. never misfires and drives em home. even 2" brads in hardwood get buried below the surface. 10 years and still going strong. If it dies tomorrow I will get another..... oh and IMHO oiless sucks!
skeez
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

One feature I never thought of until I was helping my brother nail down sub flooring. I was using my old Bostich finish nailer and he was using, I believe, a Hitachi. When his ran out of nails it would quit until more nails were put in. My old Bostich would fire blanks all day If I didn't notice that they were only dimples.
Of course, all newer guns may have that feature.
Both my Bostich finish nailer and brad nailer have had a new trigger kit put in, but they are 20 years old.
--
Gerald Ross

Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't
On 1/30/2012 12:39 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

My two Bostich, a 16ga finish nailer and an 18ga brad nailer, both have that feature.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

So does my Beretta. ;-)
(My Hitachi doesn't)

While looking at corrugated fastener guns I came across Air Locker brand tools last evening. http://www.airlockernailers.com /
I hadn't run across them previously and the only two on-line reviews for the brand that I found were both favorable.
Anyone familiar with this brand? Prices are in the Harbor Freight range rather than the Bostitch/Senco range. I'm considering their corrugated fastener gun as an option, and brad nailers might be an option for you if they've been found to be serviceable...
John

I got a NEW DeWalt at a hock shop for $20. Spend a few bucks and get a decent one so you aren't buying another in a year, and the total you will have spent coulda bought you a realllllllllllllly good one.
Steve

Maybe even the coordinates!
Steve