Suggestions for a fine cut

Page 2 of 2
"Justin Time" wrote:

--------------------------------------------- It's hand saw time.
A Japanese pull saw as T Dacon has suggested the saw used with a miter box which has a back stiffener.
(Forgot the correct name of the saw).
Lew
Thank you all for the suggestions. The obvious answer is a handsaw such as a coping or hacksaw, unless I know someone with a bandsaw (which I don't). I don't own either handsaws, but I have a hacksaw at work. Though, since both saws are cheap, I'll pick them up this afternoon for future projects.

If you have an old hacksaw blade, flatten it with a hammer to take the set out of it for a much thinner kerf.
I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I would use my Ryoba saw. It's extremely slim (0.025"?) and built for this kind of task, with both rip and crosscut teeth. I recently bought an Azebiki, too, which would work as well. They're Japanese pull saws. Once you use one, you'll find that you will absolutely, positively -need- one.
http://goo.gl/ag0dE Ryoba for softwoods
http://goo.gl/Pgqrp Ryoba for hardwoods
http://goo.gl/UEob0 Azebiki
And yet another alternative is a multifunction tool. http://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multifunction-power-tool-68303.html
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

What would I do without this group. I actually have the multifunction tool and never gave it a second thought and I've used it for many things. Though, those others saws sure would look good in the collection.
Thanks

They're on coupon sale for $20 right now, if anyone still hasn't bought one. See the otherwise worthless Sunday "USA Weekend" 'magazine'.
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington
Justin Time wrote:

Hey guys, it's too early in the morning to read about sex bolts and slits. Haven't even finished my second cup of coffee. (grin)
--
Gerald Ross

We give nothing as willingly as our advice.

Providing the little woman doesn't mention anything about a small shaft, everything else is good.

Condolences, sir. Yer gettin' old, Ger, if you haven't thought about sex at least once by the time your feet hit the floor. <domg>
-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington
On 8/7/2011 6:51 PM, Justin Time wrote:

You have a backsaw? If not, time to get one,

One of these would work very nicely:
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)- Finish/dp/B00004TBQ2/refc_glance_hi_ai_ps_t_3>
Might be too thin a cut though.
On the other hand, if that's too thick, a jeweler's saw should do.
<http://www.micromark.com/Jewelers-Saw,6747.html