Strange phone call this morning...

Got this call earlier this morning...

[ring] [ring] [me] This is Doug Miller. [caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see you. [me, sarcastic] Is that right. [caller] (hangs up)

Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly enough, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb. Do ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?

Anybody else get a phone call like this?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Tomorrow's Headlines:

"Scorned Woodworker Uses Lasers and Prisms to Align Knife Blade Precisely Perpendicular to Victim's Chest"

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Naah - wrong headline. Should be:

"Harassing Lunatic Killed With Wooden Bullet." The suspect was reported to have claimed that a wooden bullet was the approved method of slaying trolls.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

No, but I've learned that it is trivial to spoof the calling line ID. I found this out when investigating a call that came to me 'from' a number that was not in service.

There is (or was) website that lets you do that for free. I haven't checked it out, but suppose it you'd call it using VOIP and then it woudl connect via the internet to a local exhchange to complete the call.

There are some reverse phone number search services online. Some of them work for free. Some may claim they found a reverse lisitng, even if they did not, and want you to pay to see the 'results'.

Reply to
fredfighter

No, but I've learned that it is trivial to spoof the calling line ID. I found this out when investigating a call that came to me 'from' a number that was not in service.

There is (or was) website that lets you do that for free. I haven't checked it out, but suppose it you'd call it using VOIP and then it woudld connect via the internet to a local exchange to complete the call.

Reply to
fredfighter

What would be the motivation for someone to call you? Have you recently been in a heated argument?

In any case, you might want to report the call. It could certainly be construed as a threat.

Reply to
Locutus

Hi Doug,

You betcha.

Call came in yesterday at 12:06:31 (just as I was sitting down to lunch with some friends). Sure enough, the number was (205) 257-4369. When I answered the caller hung up. I get a lot of wrong numbers so I didn't give it much thought. But, now I know *exactly* who it was! It's a landline and I'm sure he thinks that he is protected by having an unlisted number.

Thanks, Ed Bennett

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
ejb

Sorry to hear that, but reinforces my belief/opinion as expressed in my latest response to you in the "ts-aligner" thread.

Reply to
Tom Veatch

I guess you haven't been reading the thread about the TS-Aligner 2006 Fall Promo?

Yes, you might say I've been in an argument. Wasn't heated on *my* end... but then, it wasn't *me* that got bent far enough out of shape to look up the other guy's home address and phone number, and call him.

I plan to, if he calls a second time. Right now, I figure he's just a blowhard, and probably a coward besides. Plus, he's three states away, not across the street. If he does actually show up...he may regret that decision. We're capable of protecting ourselves, and ready to do so if need be.

Reply to
Doug Miller

12:06 MST = 10:06 EST, or less than fifteen minutes after he called me.

If he persists, he'll learn just how thin that protection is when a complaint is made to the telco about harassing calls.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug would never argue with anyone! Must have been a simple mistake. (just for the record, I was asleep...)

Reply to
Toller

Hey, I know it wasn't you, Toller. You live in upstate NY, if I recall correctly, and this call came from Alabama.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah, I found it shortly after I posted... curiosity got the best of me.

Very weak.

Reply to
Locutus

LOL!!!!

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I got into a pissing match with a blowhard in another newsgroup once... he said he was going to come see me. I told him to come on, published my street address and suggested he come in through the window... and carry some ID, so I'd know where to send the remains.

So far, he hasn't shown up. Just as well, as I'm not likely to call 911. That's not the coroner's number, is it?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Yes it is. But I think it's goes through his secretary first. Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

Maybe. Did you try calling back and asking? :)

Reply to
lwasserm

Not a good idea--found a suspicous package in the mailbox one day with a return address that showed that it was from a netkook with whom I had been engaged in a pissing match. The guy claimed to be a pacifist. Opened it from 100 yards with a 5.56mm letter opener. It made a surpisingly loud noise and I owed the range for a target stand. One of the few times in my life that I've regretted not calling the cops to deal with a problem but at that point there wasn't a useful amount of evidence left. I stopped using my real name online after that--it's distinctive and there are only a half a dozen people in the country who share it and I'd really rather not have to monitor my mail quite that carefully.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I did. There was no answer.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Try calling them at 2 or 3 in the morning.

Reply to
efgh