Strange phone call this morning...

Page 1 of 2
Got this call earlier this morning...
[ring] [ring] [me] This is Doug Miller. [caller] Hey, Doug, it's your buddy from the wreck, coming over to see you. [me, sarcastic] Is that right. [caller] (hangs up)
Call came from (205) 257-4369. That's the Birmingham AL area. Oddly enough, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb. Do ya think he might be my "buddy" who called?
Anybody else get a phone call like this?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Tomorrow's Headlines:
"Scorned Woodworker Uses Lasers and Prisms to Align Knife Blade Precisely Perpendicular to Victim's Chest"
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

Naah - wrong headline. Should be:
"Harassing Lunatic Killed With Wooden Bullet." The suspect was reported to have claimed that a wooden bullet was the approved method of slaying trolls.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

LOL!!!!
Doug Miller wrote:

No, but I've learned that it is trivial to spoof the calling line ID. I found this out when investigating a call that came to me 'from' a number that was not in service.
There is (or was) website that lets you do that for free. I haven't checked it out, but suppose it you'd call it using VOIP and then it woudl connect via the internet to a local exhchange to complete the call.
There are some reverse phone number search services online. Some of them work for free. Some may claim they found a reverse lisitng, even if they did not, and want you to pay to see the 'results'.
--

FF

Doug Miller wrote:

No, but I've learned that it is trivial to spoof the calling line ID. I found this out when investigating a call that came to me 'from' a number that was not in service.
There is (or was) website that lets you do that for free. I haven't checked it out, but suppose it you'd call it using VOIP and then it woudld connect via the internet to a local exchange to complete the call.
--

FF

said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham suburb.

What would be the motivation for someone to call you? Have you recently been in a heated argument?
In any case, you might want to report the call. It could certainly be construed as a threat.

I guess you haven't been reading the thread about the TS-Aligner 2006 Fall Promo?
Yes, you might say I've been in an argument. Wasn't heated on *my* end... but then, it wasn't *me* that got bent far enough out of shape to look up the other guy's home address and phone number, and call him.

I plan to, if he calls a second time. Right now, I figure he's just a blowhard, and probably a coward besides. Plus, he's three states away, not across the street. If he does actually show up...he may regret that decision. We're capable of protecting ourselves, and ready to do so if need be.
--
Regards,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham

Yeah, I found it shortly after I posted... curiosity got the best of me.
Very weak.
Doug Miller wrote:

I got into a pissing match with a blowhard in another newsgroup once... he said he was going to come see me. I told him to come on, published my street address and suggested he come in through the window... and carry some ID, so I'd know where to send the remains.
So far, he hasn't shown up. <G> Just as well, as I'm not likely to call 911. That's not the coroner's number, is it?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

Yes it is. But I think it's goes through his secretary first. Jim
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

Not a good idea--found a suspicous package in the mailbox one day with a return address that showed that it was from a netkook with whom I had been engaged in a pissing match. The guy claimed to be a pacifist. Opened it from 100 yards with a 5.56mm letter opener. It made a surpisingly loud noise and I owed the range for a target stand. One of the few times in my life that I've regretted not calling the cops to deal with a problem but at that point there wasn't a useful amount of evidence left. I stopped using my real name online after that--it's distinctive and there are only a half a dozen people in the country who share it and I'd really rather not have to monitor my mail quite that carefully.
J. Clarke wrote:

It took less than that to convince to use an alias online.
I do not want to deal with all the hassle that follows from culling the gene pool of idiots.
--

FF

On 5 Nov 2006 12:21:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Yep. My last name is rare enough that it'd take about 5 minutes with a phone book for any old looney to start making harassing calls to my house. I don't worry about the regulars, but there are plenty of lurkers and kooks around. The irritation just isn't worth it.
That, and there's no particular reason not to use an alias- for all I know, every name on here is an alias, and some just look more like real names than others. Doesn't make a bit of difference to me if I know people by their handles or their given names.
BTW, hope this nonsense amounts to nothing, Doug and Ed.
[snip]

Thanks. I imagine it won't come to anything. As I said, I doubt he'll show up here from three states away, but if he does we're able to protect ourselves.
--
Regards,
said once that he lives in Helena, a Birmingham

Doug would never argue with anyone! Must have been a simple mistake. (just for the record, I was asleep...)

Hey, I know it wasn't you, Toller. You live in upstate NY, if I recall correctly, and this call came from Alabama.
--
Regards,
Hi Doug,
Doug Miller wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com wrote:

12:06 MST = 10:06 EST, or less than fifteen minutes after he called me.

If he persists, he'll learn just how thin that protection is when a complaint is made to the telco about harassing calls.

--
Regards,
On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:40:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Sorry to hear that, but reinforces my belief/opinion as expressed in my latest response to you in the "ts-aligner" thread.