Straight Edge

??? Are you saying that levels are hourglass shaped? All I can say is that I've NEVER seen one like that and would throw it out if I did.. I'd also say that since most modern 8' levels are made from aluminum extrusions, they are a constant dimension along their length.

-Jack

I dunno. I don't have welding capability.

They're available with the metal in several thicknesses, but even the 'heavy' ones are still very light as far as total mass goes.

I suspect one could stiffen things considerably by using a two (or more) 'in parallel', i.e. in a 'UU', or 'UUU' arrangement.

As long as the stud is straight to start with, it clamps down straight. and there is 'merely' the matter of dealing with any flexing that might occur from side-stresses while making the cut. I tend to have an abundance of scraps in the sub 4' range, that are well-suited for use as temporary cross-bracing.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

That's been my experience.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

Hi Pat!

Exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread! Your approach is superb, elegant and simple.

Thank you for the great info!

Wanka

Reply to
Wanker

It does come in different sizes.

Reply to
CW

Years ago I took a piece of red oak, jointed it flat on the edge and put a piece of aluminum angle material on one edge. It has served me faithfully for at least 30 years. Not only do I use it to draw lines, but I also clamp it to 4 X 8 sheets of plywood for a saw guide. It doesn't get as much use as it did, I now have a panel saw. I do wood boat restorations and handle a lot of sheet goods.

Don Dando

Reply to
Don Dando

I don't think so.

Reply to
CW

Not the Borg, obviously. Saw a 2x10 at Home Depot the other day that was a perfect start for that hand carved propeller you've always wanted. No bending required.

Reply to
CW

Probably at a very EXCLUSIVE lumber store.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

an 8' (96") straight edge:

AArDvarK

I use Corian cutoffs, about four inches wide, 8, 10, 12 feet long.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Let me rephrase again: I have no idea how to do this but there seem to be some very good suggestions here. Carry on.

Reply to
Scott Conner

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 06:14:22 -0400, Tom Watson calmly ranted:

Corian cutoffs? Aren't those awfully heavy to swim in, Tawm?

------------------------------ REAL men don't need free plans ------------------------------

REAL websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

if you are using more than 1 sheet of plywood lay one on top the other and clamp it on your marks using the top sheet as the strait edge. alow for the distance from the edge of the saw shoe to the blade when making your marks. after you cut the first side for the book case use it as a guide to cut the rest. for a book case the factory edge of the plywood should be strait enough. works for me!

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Swim nekkid. The Corian's brittle and breaks when you try to wear it.

Amen bro.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

You should both look closer.

Reply to
John Keeney