Straight Edge

Page 2 of 2
Scott Conner apparently said,on my timestamp of 11/08/2004 12:00 AM:

Funny. Wasn't aware my wife inspected anything before buying... <d&r>
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
Scott Conner wrote:

Let me rephrase again: I have no idea how to do this but there seem to be some very good suggestions here. Carry on.
Not the Borg, obviously. Saw a 2x10 at Home Depot the other day that was a perfect start for that hand carved propeller you've always wanted. No bending required.

Leon wrote:

Probably at a very EXCLUSIVE lumber store.
"Scott Conner" wrote in message >

Yep ... just like any woman will do for a wife.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Assuming you are buying more than one sheet of plywood, you can put 2 sheets up on sawhorses, offset the long edge of the top sheet from the bottom sheet an appropriate distance to use it as a fence for your circular saw, clamp it, then rip off a strip a few inches wide from the bottom sheet. Now you have an 8 foot straightedge.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Got an 8ft length of MDF laying around w/ the factory edge still on it?
Go buy a piece of 1/4" MDF... It will be veery straight and you can use it to build one of these:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00035.asp
Wanker wrote:

Hi Pat!
Exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread! Your approach is superb, elegant and simple.
Thank you for the great info!
Wanka

be
skill
the
Years ago I took a piece of red oak, jointed it flat on the edge and put a piece of aluminum angle material on one edge. It has served me faithfully for at least 30 years. Not only do I use it to draw lines, but I also clamp it to 4 X 8 sheets of plywood for a saw guide. It doesn't get as much use as it did, I now have a panel saw. I do wood boat restorations and handle a lot of sheet goods.
Don Dando

the

an 8' (96") straight edge: http://store.yahoo.com/toolsplus/hand-tools-straight-edges.html
Alex

I use Corian cutoffs, about four inches wide, 8, 10, 12 feet long.
Regards, Tom.
calmly ranted:

Corian cutoffs? Aren't those awfully heavy to swim in, Tawm?
------------------------------ REAL men don't need free plans ------------------------------ http://diversify.com REAL websites
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:13:47 -0700, Larry Jaques

Swim nekkid. The Corian's brittle and breaks when you try to wear it.

Amen bro.
Regards, Tom.

if you are using more than 1 sheet of plywood lay one on top the other and clamp it on your marks using the top sheet as the strait edge. alow for the distance from the edge of the saw shoe to the blade when making your marks. after you cut the first side for the book case use it as a guide to cut the rest. for a book case the factory edge of the plywood should be strait enough. works for me!
skeez