Steve Thomas, formally of TOH

Page 1 of 3
What happened to Steve? So far all I have heard is he left to pursue... Anyone have the real detail?
NOTE: If you can't answer the question, please don't append. I'm not interested in opinions about Bob Vila, the new host, PBS, etc. Thanks!
Dave,

Doesn't mentioning Vila in a thread have the effect of invoking Godmin's Law?
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

::::::::::::::::
"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all I learned is this: Despite its name, the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms." - Anonymous
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!

Nah! Just makes you the "Vila-an" of the piece. <groan>
Dave ...
<<What happened to Steve? So far all I have heard is he left to pursue... Anyone have the real detail?>>
There is surprisingly little information available about the "true" story behind Steve's departure. For a time there was a press release with a February date buried in a generally non-accessible part of the TOH website announcing that Steve had resigned to persue other interests, particularly on the other side of the camera. All the press releases currently in that section are dated 8/15/03 and don't mention Steve at all. The current issue of TV Guide has a blurb about Steve leaving the show and mentions that he wants to fill a role once performed by Jacques Cousteau. Given his love of sailing and the sea, that seems plausible. They also mention that he will be hosting a 5-part special on DIY Network chronicling a Habitat for Humanity project. The tone of TV Guide's sidebar makes it seem that Steve was the source of their info. So it seems that both TOH and Steve would have us believe that he left the show voluntarily. However, I find it curious that if that is indeed the case, not only there has been no "Farewell Steve" article either on the TOH website or in TOH magazine, but virtually all reference to his existance has been purged from both places in similar fashion to the way Soviet officials attempted to delete Stalin from their history.
Lee

Lee Gordon wrote:

It is my understanding that all past shows are at this moment being digitally corrected to remove Steve and that grating voice of his and being replacing them with the image and voice of Stalin.
It's a Circle of Life thing.
UA100, who is thinking curiosity is one thing but some of this kinda borders on the weerd...

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/6819893.htm
Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
TJW:

I wonder what the chances of one making it through the St. Lawrence Seaway and onto the *crap colored sands* of of Bradford Beach are?
UA100

They have so many "duck races" I imagine there will be a lot of false positives.

Sounds like they're on their way. Maybe to breed?
Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Tom Watson wrote:

Oh great! First zebra mussel, sea lamprey, alewife, smelt, carp and milfoil. Now we have to contend with albino tub floaters.
Oh lookee, this thread has/is going off topic and I can say I've been a contributor.
UA100, who has had to deal with a fully ripened tub floater or two in his career as a Dad...
pixelated:

What timing! I joined the Rogue Duck Derby last week and have my very own yellow ducky, shades and a smile, on my monitor as I type this.
---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==-- http://www.diversify.com/stees.html - Schnazzy Tees online ----------------------------------------------------------

has
officials
I guess they have to use the "Search and Replace With" option to do that ... LOL
Lee, I agree with your analysis. Steve represented a lot of good-will for TOH, and to see all mention of him gone (in my experience anyway) is an indication of extreme anger on the part of someone. When Kathy Lee left and was replace by Kelly, it was done gracefully because of the good-will value and the desire to have good fan support. There are a lot of other examples of how this is done with grace. So my guess is that something happened that caused both Steve and TOH to be angry. My guess is that what happened falls into one of three groups - more money, more creative control, a disagreeable environment to work in. Steve, was more than the host, he was also part of the magazine effort. I have met Steve, Norm, Tommy, and Rich, and they all seem like very nice people. I have not met the producer, but hear he can be difficult. So my guess is that this may be where the problem started. On other point to make. The reason they had to change the theme song is that the owner said they had to pay money since they were not a not-for-profit company. It turns out that WGBH now produces the show, but I understand it is actually owned by Time Warner. If true, this could also be an area of irritation. In any event, good luck to Steve.
Dave
Lee Gordon wrote:

Hmmm...at the TOH website I entered "steve thomas" in the place that invites you to search the site. Got 106 hits. Didn't see a "farewell Steve" item, but why would I? My local TV station has long-time anchors/reporters move on to bigger and better things at other stations and they don't have such items. Usually, a "this is so-and-so's last day here" is all that's done. Nothing sinister, IMHO.
Jim Stuyck

pursue...
story
website
particularly
that
and
Cousteau.
chronicling
the
TOH
has
officials
Lets hope that they don't bring Boob Vila back. Wouldn't that be a gasser?

also
it
the
the
existance
Joe spaketh...

More entertaining than coffee boy Steve Thomas.
--
McQualude

Jim ...
<<Hmmm...at the TOH website I entered "steve thomas" in the place that invites you to search the site. Got 106 hits. Didn't see a "farewell Steve" item, but why would I? My local TV station has long-time anchors/reporters move on to bigger and better things at other stations and they don't have such items. Usually, a "this is so-and-so's last day here" is all that's done. Nothing sinister, IMHO.>>
True, there are 106 hits for Steve Thomas (interestingly, zero for Bob Vila) but those are mostly archived show descriptions. None of the "up front" stuff still mentions Steve and all the the pictures of him, particularly in the magazine, have disappeared. It's possible that some of those long-time newscasters who have left your local TV station also departed on less than friendly terms. Where I live, when someone who has been a fixture at one of the TV stations for nearly as long as Steve was on TOH (10-15 years or more) departs, there is often a series of tributes and even an hour-long retrospective program. That, of course, does not apply if the person is headed for the competition. On significant anniversaries some stations even go so far as to show old clips and do some "where-are-they-now" features. It may be just my opinion but I think TOH ignoring Steve in the way it has demonstrates an uncharacteristic lack of class on their part.
Lee

Dave ...
<<One other point to make. The reason they had to change the theme song is that the owner said they had to pay money since they were not a not-for-profit company. It turns out that WGBH now produces the show, but I understand it is actually owned by Time Warner. If true, this could also be an area of irritation.>>
I'm not sure that WGBH does produce the show anymore. They did in the beginning and Russ Morash, the producer, worked for them. But at some point, due to whatever contractual agreements he made with WGBH, he apparently became the "owner" of the show. WGBH still "presents" the show because, unlike the way other networks operate, all PBS shows must have one of their local affiliates be the presenter. Another indication that WGBH does not actively produce the program and that there might be some bad blood between Morash and PBS is that the PBS website (www.pbs.org) does not even have any This Old House related pages, nor does it link to them. Time Warner publishes This Old House Magazine and is also responsible for the official website (www.thisoldhouse.com). The program itself, as well as Ask This Old House, and a new program starting next month called "Find" featuring the Keno Brothers of Antiques Roadshow fame, are all produced by "This Old House Ventures" which I believe is a partnership between Morash and Time Warner.
Lee

Lee,
I have a friend that works for Morash. The separation of Steve from this old house was not very amicable. I really can't give details, as I've probably said too much already. I also can not give any proof, or names (it would get my friend into trouble probably).. I can understand if some posters do not believe me (due to no proof), but that's the truth.

I believe you. As for proof, TOH ungraciousness is proof enough for me.