Starter HVLP at a great price

So buy one of those less than $100 Chinese HVLP units (my first was $69 @ HF), learn to thin the paint to match the tool's capability, and have fun!

If you have a decent compressor, ala the typical 30 gallon unit or better, a Critter can do a fine job as well, but with much more overspray and a thinner coat.

Reply to
B A R R Y

That's what I did. The Wagner I bought is an "HVLP" unit that basically has a blow dryer mounted to a spray head.

I think that I need to thin just a LITTLE bit more. While the paint ejects from the spray head in an atomized mist, it doesn't seem to flow out afterward. I think it might be just too thick still. I DO spray until the surface just looks wet. Then, too, surface prep ended at 60 grit ... so maybe the paint is fine and I am just painting on a crummy surface.

The basic object of this exercise is to establish a simple level of competency that will let me make a better informed decision when I eventually move up to a 'full-on' sprayer. Possibly I will keep this Wagner for fence painting or concrete painting and other rough jobs where getting something the right color is the only real goal.

Dunno. But $500 is probably out of my league. I might, however, be tempted to part with about 1/2 that amount if I can convince myself that there will be sufficient future work to justify the purchase.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit